Friday, July 18, 2008

A Game of Hide and Seek

This is not my story. It did not happen to me. This happened to Jeff and he is much more interested in playing games on the computer than blogging. So I am going to tell this story. I could not let it go untold.

On days that I go to work, I have to leave the house at 6:23am. I have it down to the minute so that I get the maximum amount of sleep time, enough time to look descent and time to stop for a very large, very strong coffee.
Any way, every one is still sleeping when I leave. I kiss Jeff good bye and as I am leaving, he gets up to take a shower.
On this morning, like many others, Hayden came down while Jeff was still showering. He hears Hayden opening the door and says, "Good morning, buddy. I will be done in a minute."
He gets no reply except the door closing. This is not unusual behavior. Hayden will either go play or lay in our bed until Jeff is done and can put cartoons on for him.
This morning, however, when Jeff gets out of the shower, Hayden is not in the bedroom. Hayden is no where to be found. Jeff looked in Hayden's room, all through the main floor, in all the closets, under the beds, and even in the garage and outside. He seems to be no where.
I am glad that it was Jeff going through this. If it was me, I would be freaking out by now and most likely have the phone in hand ready to call the police because some one must have taken him.
But Jeff is not phased and he goes back to our room to get dressed for work. As he walks back into the bedroom, he hears talking coming from the baby monitor in the babies' room.
There are a lot of sounds that come from the baby monitor, mostly crying, but talking is a new one. So Jeff goes up to the babies' room to check it out.
He finds Hayden sitting in Claire's crib with a flash light and the bag of blocks. Hayden was showing the babies the pictures on the blocks and telling them what each one was by flash light. The babies are all sitting up in their cribs, with the "what the?" look on their faces.
Jeff retrieves Hayden from Claire's bed and they both go downstairs to finish getting dressed, leaving the babies very confused as to what just happened.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is such a cute story! I've found my 2-year-old in the crib with my 1-year-old but never has he tried teaching him something. Too cute!

Missy said...

How funny! Do you think you can use this to your advantage in the future and ask him to help to occupy them?
Oh yeah, I would have called the police in like 5 minutes also!

Manager Mom said...

That is SO cute... what a great big brother!

Diana said...

Way to go Hayden - teaching the babes something constructive - not destructive :-) What a great big brother! It is so funny that Jeff just went about his day unphased - that's probably what Craig would do to, figuring Tyler would show up/come back/or somehow return....I on the other hand would have reacted as you suspected you would have figure that that was the perfect time to panic!

KWolfAK said...

That is just too cute! Hey, congrats on winning one of the Target gift cards from SITS!

NANCY said...

Yay! Congrats on winning the SITS contest...and cute story.

Cristin said...

Oh my God that is some cute stuff!

What a sweet brother!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! I am adding you to my blog list later.

and congrats on winning the gift card! I am sooo jealous!

Kimberly said...

That is so sweet! What a good concsientious big brother! :) Congrats SITSta on winning a target gift card!

Unknown said...

How cute! He sounds like a sweet big brother. Congratulations on your target giftcard from SITS!

Rhea said...

What a wonderful big brother!! I love it. Too funny. The confused babies crack me up. :o)

Unknown said...

That explains why Jeff was running just a bit behind when we arrived to babysit that morning. Typically, he didn't offer the story, just kept on getting ready. Love the idea of Hayden teaching. I remember another little boy just like that.,,,

Jill said...

Oh my gosh, that is such a great story! What a sweet little guy to read to his sister.

Unknown said...

How cute is that? Love it!