Friday, October 2, 2009

Letting the Blog Farts Fly

I am so sick and tired of making food for my kids, um, that doesn't sound right, let me restate that. I am so sick and tired of making breakfast for my kids. Each and every morning, they come down, I get a cup of coffee and we start the breakfast dance.

I ask them what they want and they tell me. I ask again and again. I ask as many times as it takes to get the same answer a couple of times. Usually this means that they have settled on what they want.

So I go about the business of make it. When it is finished, I call every one to the table, set the plates in front of them and they cry. They scream and cry and push the plates away, refusing to eat it. It sucks and if they keep it up, there will be no more breakfast. I am done. They can wait until lunch.

**********

My normal everyday beverage of choice is water. I am a water drinking fool. I have a cup that holds 32 oz of liquid and on average, I can drink about 4 cups full. There is no real reason, I just like sipping on water. Now don't get me wrong, I drink other stuff, coffee, soda, tea, wine but mostly I just drink water.

But I have come to realize that yes, this is really, really good for me and yes, I may be extending my life but the extra time I am adding is being spent in the bathroom.

**********

Jake, Quinn and Claire can now unzip zippers. And since it has been getting colder here and their jammies have zippers, I constantly find them awaking up with out clothes on. Which isn't really bad except for the fact that they are cold. But I am worried that their diapers will be next and I don't want to wake up to three completely naked, diaper-less children running through the house. I had that happen once and it was not good.

**********

I wanted to update you all who know and those who don't know about my mother-in-law. During the middle of September there was a tumor found on the out side of Jeff's mom's liver and in her gall bladder ducts.

The only real treatment for this tumor is surgery to try and remove it. Well, she had this surgery last week and I am here to report that she is doing well. Well, as well as can be expected for a person who had their abdomen opened up and had someone playing around in there for 9 hours. Her recovery is going well. She will get back to her old self once again, it is just going to take time.

So thank you to everyone who kept our family in your thoughts and prayers. It really means a lot. She has a ways to go but for the most part, the worst is over.

A friend of mine sent me this video and it brought me comfort so I thought I would share it with you.


**********

Lately, Jake, Quinn and Claire have been getting in these terrible physical fights about who's Mommy I am. One of them will come up to me and say, "My Mommy" and someone over hears it and gets in their face and says, "No, My Mommy!" and back and forth it goes. There have been times that it can get physical and they push each other down.

I really don't know what to do about this. They just don't get that I am everyone's Mommy. I guess next time I am going to try and say that I am no one's Mommy.

**********

Here is Jake. I am hoping that this is not going to be his career choice.

I just don't know how I would feel about being a Mommy to a Chippendale Dancer.

49 comments:

Trac~ said...

OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Chippendale dancer photo at the end of this post - he is ADORABLE and it made me LOL! Regarding your mother-in-law - I'm so happy to hear that she's doing well after her surgery - I will continue to keep her in my thoughts and prayers. Sorry to hear about the breakfast issues and the zippers - hopefully, the diapers WILL stay on! :o) Have a great Friday! Big hugs! Trac~ :o)

Ash said...

That last shot!! Oh my. Future rehearsal dinner slide show fodder for sure.

I'm so glad to hear your mother-in-law is doing well.

And the breakfast thing, yeah, feel your pain girl. Feel your pain.

Cristin said...

that last pic is hilarious!

Unknown said...

That photo is priceless. Save it for blackmail later ;-) Just a thought--another bloggy buddy I know has a meme for posts like this. It's called Friday Fragments. You might want to check it out and link up! http://www.halfpastkissintime.com/2009/10/friday-fragmentsfridays-freewrite.html

Sugar Daze said...

Hi, just came across your blog and am laughing out loud at your description of mealtime in your house. Glad to know I am not the only one who goes through this saga! Sorry to hear about your MIL but glad she is on the road to recovery. I have a Stringfellows pole dancer in training here at mine if it makes you feel any better. :)

Emmy said...

Lol! Love that picture.
And yes I feel the same way just about every meal. I love sitting down to eat to here, "I don't like this! I'm not going to eat." The common almost immediate/response even when it is something they like and they do end up eating it.
Let me just say it is a good thing my husband appreciates me cooking or I really wonder if I would anymore.

Karen said...

I am happy to hear your MIL is on the mend. She will be in my prayers

On the zipper issue....We went through that. Not so fun at times. I did however discover that onesies under those jammies saved me a great deal of work. For my kids, it took a while longer to learn to unsnap between there legs and then a while after that to discover they had to pull the shirt up to get the diaper off.

Which brings me to the breakfast frustration. What is that? I have a 5 and 6 year old that still do that. If I give them options, it is certain that they will throw an enormous tantrum over whatever it is I serve. Yes, even if it is what they asked for. Mine have finally learned that if they don't like what I put out, there is nothing to eat until lunch, though this does not stop the tantrums. If you figure it out, please let us know!!!!!

Summer said...

Noooo, your MY mommy!!!!

THe breakfast thing sounds awful. You should just do what I do, a granola bar. =) Tay thinks it's gourmet!

So glad to hear about your mother in law....so so glad.

And Jake...I mean, what did you expect when you named him Jake?!? That is so totally a hot chippendale name. lol

Kidding.

tiarastantrums said...

HA HA HA - that picture - I smell blackmail later!!!

I hear you on the breakfast front- what is it about little ones!!!

I drink water all day long too!

tiaras

Charlene Juliani said...

LOL Love the last pic!

Glad to hear your mil is doing as well as can be expected at this point!

My kids used to do the fighting things over me, not fighting just screaming "My Mommy" "No, My Mommy" I remember those days all too well!

My twins were the only ones who did the waking up nakey by taking off the jammies, but they also smeared poo all over there walls. They were my biggest trouble makers. I used to put one of those big safety pins at the top of their jammies to hold the zipper in place lol!

Heather said...

Yep, Chippendales make good money; it would probably put all the babies through school and then some. Don't knock it too soon :)

Good luck with the breakfast thing. My suggestion: make what you want them to eat, and if they don't want it, they can wait til lunch like you said.

Live.Love.Eat said...

I am so glad to hear that your MIL is doing well. Thank goodness!!!!!

And that's kinda cute how they scream out that you're their mommy. See how special you are?? But we already knew that.

Alicia said...

bwahahaaa!! oh no! that picture is amazing!! lol...and girl, i feel ya on the breakfast. i just dumped an entire untouched bowl of cereal in the sink....drives me nuts!

Unknown said...

Try buying the jammies a size bigger and putting them on backwards. You can even rotate the feet back around foreward if they are a size big.

Jayme said...

Love the pic!
I hear they make good money though.. might be a way to put him through college

CaraBee said...

Great news about your MIL.

One suggestion a friend of mine made was to put their sleepy clothes on backwards so they can't reach the zipper. It worked for them. We have a nudist in our house, too, but luckily she has been leaving the diaper on. Whew!

Kekibird said...

Hahahahaha....blog farts.....nekked babies....hahahah!!

Ok I'm done being immature (NOT!). And the water thing, yeah. It ends up zeroing out: You are healthier but all that healthy time is spent peeing.

JennyMac said...

hahaha....

silly, Chippendales wear BOW TIES! I will mail him one tomorrow. LOL.

The Redhead Riter said...

I'm glad the surgery went well.

Otter Thomas said...

Glad the surgery went well for your mother in law. My wife is like you with the water. We can't watch a 30 minute show without a bathroom break. Great chippendale pic.

Momlissa said...

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog and I have an award waiting for you at my blog.

http://3kidsin2yrs.blogspot.com/2009/10/one-lovely-blog-award.html

Anonymous said...

Best use of a bowtie ever!

(And I would totally make them wait until lunch if they made me do the breakfast dance every morning. Bet it would only take once or twice...but then I'm a pretty mean mom.)

Mrs Montoya said...

We've had lots of breakfast pain at my house in the past and now they don't get an option. It was a little rough for a couple of weeks but they were so hungry come snack time that they decided that eating something was better than nothing. That is a bad, bad deal. I remember it vividly!!!!

The photo is absolutely priceless. You could use it to identify who's mommy you're WILLING to be :)

lsnellings said...

You should stick a couple of singles in his diaper! So cute! We do the breakfast dance too and it drives me crazy! Have you ever tried just telling them what is for breakfast and serving it? I see nothing wrong with making them wait for lunch if they choose not to eat.

Swift Jan said...

The breakfast thing... If my kids crack it when I put food in front of them, they go without. Everytime. Now I dont even warn them, I simply pick up their plate & tip the contents in the bin and ask them to leave the table. They then have to wait for the next meal. They are learning quite quickly now not to crack it...

The zipper thing... I used to get a nappy pin (the safe ones)and pin it through the loop in the zip to the top of the suit. Worked a treat!

The fighting over mummy thing... no tips here sorry, though I do like your idea of saying you are no ones's mummy!! hehe

Loving your little chipendale dacer LOL

xx

Swift Jan said...

p.s So glad your mother in law is doing well xoxo

Liz Mays said...

That's great news about your MIL!

The last photo is hilarious! Somebody's son is gonna grow up to a male dancer. Why not yours??? lol

I think it's really pretty cute that they all want 100% claim to you. Of course, I'm not witness to the body slams that accompany it. ;)

AiringMyLaundry said...

Oh gosh, I LOVE that Jake picture!!

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

I'm right with you on the cooking. I actually love to cook, I just hate all the whining and pickiness I get from my kids and husband (he's actually the worst offender). When I can't take it any more it's pizza night!

Susie said...

I am really glad that your MiL is doing better!

Emily said...

wow...lots of stuff to keep you busy! You mean you don't just sit around eating bon-bons all day long like I do? ;P Hilarious pic of Jake and so glad to hear your MIL is recovering well.

Kacey said...

Love the Chippendale picture! LOL

I feel your pain about getting everyone to eat. When I get all three up - I don't give them a choice for breakfast. I figured out the Twinkies like cinnamon waffles and sausage so that is what they get - sometimes I twist it up and throw some blueberry flavored waffles at them too. Ryder eats great in the morning and has this Kashi cereal he likes so that is that. Lunch and dinner? TOTAL Scream Fest Central. I basically dropped lunch - give them some good snacks and wait it out until dinner and pray they eat dinner. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Who knew it was so much work to get little ones to eat! I never have that problem! And when does the screaming STOP? We have Mommy battles here too.

Jenni said...

I am glad your MIL is doing well!

I am a big water drinker, too!

Melinda said...

Love the photo!! Too funny. Glad to hear your mother-in-law is doing well. My sister just had surgery for thyroid cancer this week. It's such a horrible disease.

I understand your breakfast dilemma, although my nightmare is dinner. Everyone is so picky in my family and by the time I've subtracted everything each one doesn't like from the recipe I'm left with ..... meat. Doesn't make for much variety. If I win the Lotto, I'm hiring a cook.

Rachel said...

Ugh. Breakfast and toddlers. What the hell is up with that? Can't wait until they can pour their own cereal, huh?

I think I will try being Nobody's Mommy for a few hours today too. ;)

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

Love the photo...great blog!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

So happy for the chance to find and read your blog! That picture of your "chippendale dancer" is going to be one of those you keep forever and show everyone! LOL

"Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest"

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Glad your MIL is doing okay. The photo is great!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Glad your MIL is doing okay. The photo is great!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Hey, keep drinking the water. At least if you go to the bathroom a lot, you get a little peace and quiet, right?? Cute pic~!

S Club Mama said...

OMG that's the funniest picture - or anything - I've seen all day. I'd LOL but everyone is sleeping :)

And congrats on winning over at Mama Kat's

S Club Mama said...

PS You love Charmed, too??

Farmers Wifey said...

Best wishes to your MIL I hope she is on the road to recovery...We do the breaky dance too, and I have now vowed that if they don't eat what I make, they wait til lunchtime. And it's working. I totally admire you for your water drinking habits, I try to drink water alot but I love coke zero tooo much. I am going to try and enjoy water as much as you do..

Unknown said...

Too funny! And I know all about the breakfast dance. Except mine do it at every meal. Unless it's drive-thur. And lately my BG who is potty-training has been taking off her nighttime diaper & putting on panties. And wetting them! Joy, joy!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

The last photo is absolutely hilarious! I love it! Dance it baby!

cat said...

Oh gosh, Jake looks cute. Once again Jen, in my house, I decide on breakfast - take it or leave it.

Susan said...

We have the same breakfast dance each and every morning. ((sigh)) I hope your mother in law continues to do well.
: )

Unknown said...

"MY Mommy" is Sarah's favorite word. Jacob has resigned to "My daddy." Paul is certain he's already heard Adam say "My mommy" at 8 months...I'm certain he and Sarah will have knock down, drag out fights over this someday soon...

Mary Ellen said...

Pretty sure you must display this picture of Jake at his wedding. so funny!

I also hate preparing food for my kids. Mealtime sucks.