As parents, we all want our kids to listen to us and do as we say. Hence, the phrase 'Listen and Obey' has become my motto. I say this phrase about 12,457 times a day, hoping that it will sink in and my children will actually listen and obey the things that I say.
This phrase is said a lot at home but I say it even more when we go out. It usually goes a little something like this.
Me: "Hayden and Claire will you please stop touching that."
Them: They look at me and stop for about 1.3 seconds and then turn around to touch said item again.
Me: "I asked you guys to stop touching. Now you need to (I make my tone more forceful and louder) listen and obey!"
This phrase really doesn't change anything. They don't immediately stop like I would like them too. I don't really know why I say it but it kind of does make me feel better saying it.
But since I do say this phrase so many times a day, Claire, the little mother in training, has started saying it to her brothers.
"Jake! Quinn! Hayen! LISTEN AND OBEY!"
After a particularly long time of Claire screaming this, Hayden had had enough because older brothers are not suppose to take orders from their little sister. So he asked me,
"Mom, I don't need to to listen and obey Claire, right!?!" I nodded in agreement saying something like, I was the mother and he only needs to obey me and Daddy and other adults he is with.
Then after pondering this for a minute he said, "Mom, what does obey mean?"
You know what, this really explains a lot.
Amusing Back To School Notebooks
1 day ago





33 comments:
My almost 3 year old is testing my patience here lately. He doesn't listen. Or maybe he does... And maybe we're having the same issue-- maybe he doesn't know what all those words mean- Listen, No, Obey, Stop, OhMyGoshDoYouNotHearAWordImSayingDontTouchDontHitWalkAway!! :)
LOL! We have had those moments in our house!! We say, BLAH BLAH BLAH and they don't even know what it means! Very nice post!!
Hilarious! I love it!
Awesome.
Seriously, Jen. This post had me cracking up.
This is totally something that would happen in my house.
It DOES explain a lot!
Isn't it funny how we just assume they know what we mean? Obey could've meant "Keep on doing what you're doing" to them, and they were doing exactly as you said.
Maybe it will really work now?
I'm not sure how I came across your blog but I do enjoy it...
My friends have a 2 yr old and 3 yr old little boys and they used to say some here all the time and the boys would take one step and then not come any closer because in their minds they had 'come here.'Finally my friend started saying come touch my knee... It seems silly but it totally turned around the boys' listening because they knew where they were suppose to come to...
lol. At least he didn't ask what listen means. Although you probably question that sometimes huh?
OH MY GOLLY that is so funny. I know, there are SO many things I never thought I"d have to actually explain to my kids. Like, what does obey mean?
I have no idea how you do it. Seriously, 5 of different ages must be a ton easier than 3 two-year-olds.
Seriously.
LOL! I love that!
LOL...
Hah, fun.
Most of the time I just shout, "Can you guys stop acting like wild animals and LISTEN to me?"
Lol! That is awesome. I often say don't just say it, do it! As they will say they are going to clean or whatever it may be, but the follow through isn't always there.
LOL! You're right! That does explain alot!
Visiting from Mamma Kat's!
Great story! Now if you can only explain the meaning. If not you can always go with "Do what I say or I will make you walk home."
bwwwahhhhhhhh! love it.
LOL! That's adorable!
To paraphrase Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his definitions."
Not understanding really does explain much. Just don't go with the definition that involves do it or else be staked to an apache ant mount. {*grin*}
He-larious!
Stopping by from Mamma Kat's…
The phrase is useless unless they understand what it means. Also, one would think that by using a phrase so often it loses its effectiveness.
LOL. Well, at least they recognize "the tone." :)
Awesome, maybe you should go over some other key words too! Just to be sure!
That's funny. My thing is "do you SPEAK English?" or else "What does no mean in your language". However, when he sees me heading in his direction with murder in my eye, he catches on pretty quick! Actions DO speak louder than words in this situation.
I was at the mall once and overheard a mother screaming at her kid to "cease and desist...CEASE. AND. DESIST!"
I was cracking up...what kid knows what that means!?! And is she a drill sargent?
I'm SURE once your kids know what obey means, they will really start listening to you. I'm just sure of it!
Oh my goodness! Is THAT the reason my kids aren't obeying me?? Did I simply forget to explain it? Thank you so much for bringing this oversight to my attention. I am sure all of our children will begin behaving perfectly hence forth. ;)
That was hilarious!!! I was telling my husband, and my 5 year old pipes up with, "Mommy, what DOES obey mean?" So I know why my kids don't obey either!
That totally cracks me up! I guess we should never assume kids understand what we are saying unless we explain it to them, right?
So funny and so so true!!! I totally see myself. They get what your saying I swear. Seeing my 5 year old is now repeating word for word and trying to disipline his 3 yr old brother. I'm talking mt, words, gestures, and tone. Rediculous.
lol...so much for that plan! It always amuses me when 1 kid will be naughty one second and not seem to hear a word I say...but 10 minutes later when his/her sibling is being naughty, suddenly, they are the ones to blurt out much of what I had said to them a few minutes before but didn't seem to hear me! go figure...
So many times we forget that they may not know what things mean. Of course just because we tell them, doesn't mean they will listen. But that is okay because one day they will have children who act just like them. ;)
Too funny!
Oh my gosh that is SO funny. I can not stop laughing! LOVE it : )
Bwhahahaha! But... I love it and will probably start using your catch phrase. Tonight.
I say the same thing, Listen and Obey. Though I did wonder if they knew what that meant, so I have, at times, gone a step forward and explained it with "say yes ma'm and DO IT! NOW!" lol
Post a Comment