Monday, January 4, 2010

Mind of a Mother

I distinctly remember as a kid growing up that when my mom would ask me a question, she would ask it like 12 times before she actually heard the answer. I would get so annoyed by her asking me the same thing again and again and again. Usually by the third or forth time she asked me, I would go up to her, grab her face and make her listen to me.

I hated that she did this. I just didn't understand why she didn't listen to the answer. When I questioned her about this, she used to always say that it was because that she has moved onto the next thing. I never understood her answer. How could she have moved onto the next thing when she didn't even have my answer?

This used to puzzle and annoy me. I just didn't understand what she meant and why she would always do this.

Until now.

Now, I totally get it. I know exactly why she never heard my answer. It probably has something to do with the way the mind of a mother works.

I walked over to give Jake is breakfast and I asked him if he wants a banana. I turned around and walked back to get him that banana, without hearing the answer as to if he really does, when I saw the laundry room and remembered the loads in the washer and dryer. I walked in the room, and saw the mail that needed to be put away in the kitchen. I walked the mail to the kitchen, saw Jake and asked him if he wanted a banana. I walked to get the banana and saw that the coffee was not made. I went and made the coffee, when I remembered that I did not bring down the milk cups the kids had from last night. As I came downstairs, I saw Jake and asked if he wanted a banana then I saw the dirty towels on the counter and I remember about the laundry waiting for me. As I walked to the laundry room, I saw the computer and wanted to check my email. While reading my email, I smelled the coffee and as I went to pour a cup, I saw the towels. I went to the laundry room to switched loads and took the dry one to spread out on my bed to be folded. I walked back to the kitchen and tripped over a couple toys and thought about how I really need to organize the toys. The I heard Jake talking away while eating his breakfast and I realized I didn't know if he actually wanted a banana or not.

Then it hit me, I was just like my mom. I had asked Jake a question but I never took the time to actually listen to the answer. Jake didn't care but it annoyed me. So I stopped asked my question and actually listened to his answer.

Well, I tried to listen to the answer. But if you have ever talked to a 2 year old, you know they are not the quickest people. But I willed myself to stay focused even though, I heard the buzz of the dryer, the ding of a new email and I heard a child playing in the toilet.

45 comments:

Liz Mays said...

It's only January 4th and you've already undone some toilet mischief! Your year is off to a great start!

Karin Katherine said...

What a great post. I just wanted to say that even though I don't always have time for a comment. I really enjoy your blog. It is so easy to let our mind wander to the many things we have to attend to. It is easy to sometimes loose focus on the fact that the BIG picture is usually the smallest in the house.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i hear you sister...and well, i have the same deal-io going on here! man, sucks.

CaraBee said...

I just wish my kid would answer me.

Unknown said...

Congrats on waiting for an answer!!

CynthiaK said...

That is so the truth! I do this all the time, even to my husband. It drives him mad. I'm so glad I"m not the only one doing it!

Shannon said...

Amen, sister.

My kids think it's funny that my short-term memory is all but gone. But when you have to remember to pay the bills, feed the dog, figure out what you're making for dinner, RSVP to a party, etc...

Yeah, your brain is a little full!

Julie said...

I think it's just a given that moms have way too much going on in our heads! And isn't it scary how we become our mothers as we grow up?! BTW, I have an award for you on my blog: http://just-playin-around.blogspot.com/2010/01/lemonade-stand-award.html

Unknown said...

You've described the mother's mind well!

Susie said...

You know, it's hard when your mother's bad habits come out unconsciously. We at least have awareness of the problem and can take steps to improve:-)

Unknown said...

lol! I'm constantly asking my kids the same question over and over. They usually answer with a mumble while texting or listening to their Ipod.

Kellee said...

Girl, I have no children and my mind is still like this. I'm scared for my future offspring! hehe My dad has always been like this, and he has no excuse. He will literally ask me the same question ten different was and it makes me want to junk punch him. "When did your mother leave?" I don't know. "Well, ABOUT what time did your mother leave?" Dad, I don't know. "Well, was it more like half an hour ago or three hours ago?" I. DO. NOT. KNOW. hehehe So you're not doing too bad. :)

Enthusiastic Bookworm said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

ha ha ha, my mind is going already and Anthony isn't even speaking yet.

Karen

Julia said...

lol I do exactly the same thing, my dd often points out that I have asked her the same question 4 or 5 times. Multitasking has its downsides sometimes :)

~SHANNON~ said...

So now I keep wondering... did Jake end up wanting the bannan, or not??!!?? lol.

Yeah, It can be really hard to focus on one thing at a time when your trying to take care of everyone, and the family is off in different directions. And good for you, for noticing this trend now, so you can avoid Jake grabbing your face one day:)

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I enjoy the company even when someone chooses to "sit something out"-lol. Truthfully, I won't be participating in the hypnosis either. Who has the time? But I do find the science of the mind absolutely fascinating. And how wonderful if the suggestion can be made to many people that they be thankful and happy in the New Year:)

Sarahviz said...

It's the Mommy Version of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie!

Grand Pooba said...

Oh no, does this mean I'm destined to repeat my own mother's mistakes? I feel bad for my future children lol!

cat said...

Oh I know, I know!

Emmy said...

Yes it is true.. eventually we do just become our mother's. I often have to ask the same question several times in a row until they even seem to hear me. Gotta love it

Lourie said...

Oh how I can relate!

Tammy said...

Oh my...you are making me laugh. I did that this morning (BY MYSELF) cleaning the house. One thing led to another...you just blogged about it so I know you understand. LOL

Caitlin said...

My mom used to do the same thing! I am sure that I will be in the same boat soon.

Heather said...

You are cracking me up! This is totally my life! I do it ALL the time.

I'm so glad I'm not alone.

Thanks for the sweet comment today. You are so kind.

Helene said...

I always thought it was short-term memory!! I'm exactly like you...I'll get involved in a million different things (same order as you) and I'm asking the kids the same thing over and over, "Did you or did you not want more milk? Answer me already!" and they just sit there, stunned, like WTF is wrong with mommy?

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who does this! I can always count on you, my kindred spirit, to make me realize that my life is completely normal.

Otter Thomas said...

Very funny! I have always been like that, but I didn't have any good excuse. Maybe I could use a mind of a father kind of thing. I can tell you right now that the mind of the mother in my house is not impressed with my scatter brained ways.

Jaime Ann said...

I don't know how many times my older step kids make comments how the old Jaime used to have it together...she used to never forget anything....if only they knew! You totally get it though! times four...lol!

AiringMyLaundry said...

I do the same thing. Not only to my kids but to my husband.

Emily said...

Ha! That happens to me all the time...although I think it's mostly b/c Melody takes forever and a day to answer any question!

lsnellings said...

This is what every day at my house is like!! I think that is why I am constantly busy without ever really getting anything accomplished...I am always moving on to the next thing!

Anonymous said...

I could have written this! It is amazing how your mind just jumps from one thing to the next and I agree little ones take forever to answer sometimes so it's a catch-22 that develops this frustrating habit. It is a little funny though when you read it all in post like that.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

You are me! I do the same thing ALL.THE.TIME! I love others who are in the same mode as me all the time!!

Yorkfield said...

Hi, I just wanted to say that it's a great idea to decide to listen better.
I guess your mum never got her head around staying more focused.
That's why she kept on forgetting your answers, if she ever heard them at all.

That kind of reminds me on some poeple here in the UK who constantly ask: "How are you ?", and when I reply "Fine, how about you ?", they NEVER reply !
Maybe I'm wired but if I ask something, then only because I request kindly an answer.
Why else would a sentence have a questionmark at the end ?

Allegro ma non troppo said...

Isn't it so hard to listen to them sometimes? Little kids seldom pause for only a second then say a definitive 'yes' or 'no'. Often they don't know what they want, or you have to wade through a convoluted story.

Kristina said...

Staying focused while waiting for a two year old to give you a coherent/understandable answer can be horrible. I completely understand.

Between the "I pooped", "I'm tired" and "Hara hit me" it is hard to get the "yes banana" or "no banana" in there!

great post!

Mary Ellen said...

It's amazing how much your morning resembles mine.

Looks like we've all come down with a serious case of "mommy brain."

Casey's trio said...

I totally do this too! Multi-tasking has its downfalls!!

Michelle said...

LOL! I hate when I ask the girls a question and then don't bother to listen to the answer because I'm already moving on! But then need to re ask the question. :)

debi9kids said...

LOL! Pretty sure most mommies could copy and paste this onto our blogs and say it was written by us as well :)
Yep. been there... every day and it drives my teenagers INSANE. LOL
(oh and boy do I ever hear you on the listening to a toddler thing. heehee)

MrsM said...

Ha ha ha-I have the opposite problem. I hear them talk, but while I'm trying to get a striaght answer out of one of 'em the rest go nuts. Multitasking is NOT as easy as it looks!

P.S. I have an award for you at my place =)

All My Monkeys said...

I started out not having any idea what you were talking about, and thinking I couldn't POSSIBLY have this problem. UNTIL... you started listing all the things you haphazard do, the banana leads you past the laundry room which takes you to another room which causes you to trip over a toy... I SO. TOTALLY. DO THAT! Though I usually hear the answer, sometimes I'm not patient enough for their 2yo-ness to get it out, so I do somethin in the meantime and come back to them. Guilty. Convicted!

Jenners said...

I am printing this out and giving it to my husband. This is his #1 pet peeve about me ... that I don't listen when I ask him questions. Now I have a defense ... and company ... for my "affliction."

Unknown said...

OMG! That is soooooooooo true!! I was just thinking the other day, wondering WHY can't I just do ONE thing, when my child asks it...why do I have to say "sure...after I do this..."

I actually have tried to promise myself to be more PRESENT in moments like these...to let things wait...and be there for my kids each moment when they need me...yeah, it mayb feel painful at times...like you said they can be just as distractable as us...but I'll try!

Kekibird said...

HAAHAHAHAHH!!! Oh jeeze this made me snort! Playing in the toilet. All for a banana.

But this is a good point. To sit and listen to what they are saying and giving them the time to give you an answer. I should try it....really.

Heather of the EO said...

Oh yes. OH yes. I get it now, too. And I fight so hard to not be so distracted...but I still relate to my mom so much. Grown-ups (we) just have so much on our plates.

Your sweet kiddos are going to fare well, simply because you GET THIS, and you try.

Heather of the EO said...

or is it fair?

Whatever :)