Do you see those cups up there? That is just a sampling of the cups that we own. But this is not a post about how many cups that we have nor is it a post about how they seem to just vanish only to be found weeks later either all green and moldy or chunky cheesy.No, this is a post where I am posing a question to the blogging world?
What is so special about those cups?
Let me explain myself. Every morning, I go upstairs and get the babies out their cribs. They mill around and wake Hayden up, while I go back downstairs to start the coffee.
One of them will start the down ward decent, followed closely by the other two and they all run over to the cup drawer. I kindly open the drawer and say,
"Pick a cup for today?"
"Which cup do you want?"
"Pick a cup and give it to mommy for some juice."
To which they all happily comply and each baby hands me their choice of cup.
Then I fill each cup with 1/4 water and 3/4 juice. They wait patiently, who am I kidding, they all beg relentlessly for me to give them their cup.
Once every one has their cup, they scamper off to drink and play. I then get myself some coffee and Hayden some chocolate milk. It is happiness in the household.
But then just as I am ready to take that first wonderful sip of coffee,
it happens.
The fighting and screaming and tackling and hair pulling and full out kicking match over a cup.
Some one dropped a cup and another one picked it up began to drink and suddenly that cup becomes THE MOST precious thing in the world.
I just don't get it. They all picked which cup they wanted. They are all filled with EXACTLY the same amount of juice.
There should be no issues.
None!
Not A One!
I just don't get what is so special about a cup.






63 comments:
I'm no help here. It makes no sense to me either.
That's because there is no sense to be made here. Just chaos. Fighting is fun, right?!
I don't get it either:) I went through this with my son and my nephew!
I am so glad we are over the sippy cup phase! What about cups with thier names on it. That way if they don't bring their cup back they won't get a drink the next time. OOOHHHH think of the crying and fighting now!
Mine fight about cups, and plates, and forks. I am about to give up and buy a bunch of identicle cups. Why are those things so darn expensive?
Cheesy.. ha .. and ew.. we get that too. And you KNOW when you decide that cleaning it isn't worth the nausea, and you toss it.. THAT will be THE cup that someone MUST have! We go through the same thing. And we also have a hell of a time keeping LIDS with the cups... OH I NEED SOME COFFEE.. ya coming over or what? ha
Stoppin' in with a BIG thanks for the comment on my Boobie post for my big SITS day.. and also thanks for all the Welcomista support to, simply put.. you ROCK:o]
It's like Gollum's "my precious." No one else should have the loose cup.
My kiddos are 11 and 7. With the amount of spills that they still have...we still use lids. I like a lidded cup, too :-)
Sorry I dont have an answer.
But the thought of three beautiful babes wandering with their sippy cups makes me want another baby. Just one though.
I remember those days...long, long ago tho. I'm a grandma of a 20 year old. so, like I say...long long ago. And, remember back when you were a kid yourself and sibling rivalry?
My Wordful this week is all about the birds and bees...errrr, um....maybe birds and cats. Is it Superman in the sky? Come find out.
You have 4 kids. Three of them the same age.
Sometimes this revelation hits me like a ton of bricks and I realize how much I respect and admire you.
OK, back to the cups...
Yeah, I so love your kids.
What a nightmare. I have no idea why children behave like this.
I recently bought a little red kids' table and 4 red chairs. There were red, blue, yellow and green chairs to choose from and my natural instinct was to get one of each.
Then Sonny Ma-Jiminy said, "Red will be mine! It's my favourite!"
And I realised that it was only a matter of time before red was EVERYONE'S favourite.
I left the rainbow of chairs behind and picked 4 red ones. I'm not going to get myself into that roundabout of tantrums, no way.
I bet that none of this helps with your cup dilemma though.
PS I reiterate everything Lula said. I have always respected and admired you too. And I totally love your kids!
Same insanity goes on here. Can't help you with this one :)
Great question, maybe it's because it's their first thing that belongs to them. Oh heck, I really don't know but it's quite funny.
I love this post. It made me laugh out loud. I only have one child. She gets up heads over to the fridge bangs on it. Grab her cup out wash it because I do not have a wonderful collection and she waits. Then she is off with her cup until she is ready for more or something upsets her.
Have a great day.
That's too funny. Maybe not for you, but definietly for me. Babies are cute.
The cup mystery will probably never be solved...but you'll definitely look back one day and remember it with smiles!
Popped over from Whitney's blog...every wonderful thing she said about you is true =)
Looking forward to reading lots more of the adventures with your family.
Oh I colour code their cups and at 18 months they know - C's is green and L' is blue and The Little Miss gets pink. They will not dare to choose someone else's cup. Maybe give this a try?
I think you just summed up the economic crisis with that metaphor.
I know mine is cool, but oh, I want what YOU have!!!!
...and a little child will lead them. :-)
in our world(of a mere two babies) they each get the same color cup everyday... one get's orange and one gets purple..and GOD FORBID if either has the wrong color cup in their precious little lips....
but it makes it a pain when you can't find the "right" cup...
so I guess there's no winning...I hate them(the cups, of course... not the babies) and can't wait until sippy cups are done.. but I also hate scrubbing juice off the couch/carpet/floor... so for now they stay! : )
You know the old saying...grass is always greener on the other side of the fence? I think it applies here:)
I don't know the answer...but I do have a solution...is a solution an answer?? Ok I have an answer. Go buy a trillion copies of the exact same cup.
No more fighting.
Ever.
For the rest of their lives they can all have and wear the exact same thing.
And when they're all 16 with the exact same sippy cups just tell them they put you in a corner and you had no other choice.
You're welcome.
When I was a kid, I used to argue that everything was my SPECIAL something. That's my SPECIAL ball, that's my SPECIAL doll, that's my SPECIAL shoe.
That is your kids' SPECIAL sippy cup. The same one.
I have B/G twins and they are actually very possessive of their cups, too - but they are somewhat color coded as a few other people mentioned above. J knows his cups are the 'boy' colors - blue, green, etc. and S knows her cups are the girly colors - pink, purple, yellow, etc. They are pretty good about leaving each others' cups alone - about the only time they grab the others is if theirs is empty and they are really thirsty - but that rarely happens.
good luck!
I remember the days very well...my girls (who are not twins) were the same way! We had quite a collection of cups, too! Happy Wordful Wednesday!
Oh, how I KNOW this struggle. My girls go through fazes where they want a very specific type of sippy and Heaven forbid that particular kind be dirty and in the wash.
Ughhhh...my boys are like this about almost everything (except cups)! With cups (and a few other things), they each have their own color...one is blue and the other is green. That way, everyday, they have the same set of stuff.
Happy Wordful Wednesday!
Here ya go..I'm going to make your life easier. Only buy solid color items from here on out. Then, make a symbol based on a 'special' name for each child. My boys were Sunshine and Sweetheart. With a Sharpie, I'd draw a sun on one and a heart on the other. Even when they were just toddlers they'd see the icon and know who's was who's.
Other little drawings could be a flower, smiley face..things like that.
It actually got cute cause they would look for the drawing to see if it was theirs..and it sure stopped the arguements fast.
Of course, I'd get scolded if I happened to call my oldest sweetheart accidentally. My youngest would holler "Mo-om! I'm sweetheart! He's sunshine!"
I haven't figured that one out either.
I do know exactly what you are talking about with the green chunky cheese! - I have been known to find those and just toss them - I don't even want to crack that baby open to wash it. I would rather buy a new one! yuck!
Happens with all kids! Seems silly to us logical adults.
Your kids are lucky. Mine get half juice half water. Mean mommy I am!
Popped in from Whitney's to say hi, since you were featured there! She was right--you are hilarious!
I would fight someone if they took my beer can. Is that the same thing?
Too funny! And of course, right when you're about to take your first sip of coffee! I wonder what they would do if they opened the drawer one morning and found that you had replaced all the cups with identical cups?
You got me. A cup's a cup. I think kids are just looking for reasons to fight, I know I did with my sister. Although at the time it all felt VERY serious.
Hahaha-its not only cups its everything in this house...and to make matters worse mine are grown!!!
my boys do the same. exact. thing.
and our cups... magically lose lids. i have about 2,398,467,934,587 cups and 35 lids. WTF?
I still have a cabinet-full of sippy cups. Want me to send some your way?
What's in the cup certainly matters in our house (chardonnay?). j/k
Maybe color code them? I don't have a good answer for this. I only have one kiddo, but he does like to try and drink our coffee mugs...
I have two almost two-year-olds, and I've just given up on this struggle. I mean really?
But I guess I sometimes care which fork I get . . .
What's in the cup is someone else's juice, which, as every toddler knows, tastes so much better than their own. It's stories like this that make me grateful my two kids are 7 1/2 years apart :)
There's always something to fight about isn't there?
OH don't get me started on the cups. My older son has three that are 'his' and if anyone else looks at them wrong he gets upset.
And the cleaning of them, that's a whole 'nother issue...
Oh man, I have so many of those dang cups with just one kiddo- I can't imagine how many you have with 4! AHHHHH!!!!! It gives me nightmares!!!!!
bc...we know what we want and that's it. i mean, they know what they want, and that's it!
You are popular today my friend!
I still remember my tommie tipy cup and I had a favorite cup as an adult. Can't explain it.
I will say this, the day I threw out all of the sippy cups was a happy day. :)
i only have two kiddies - and they are 3 years apart (9 and 6 now) and they STILL argue over cups!!!
It's a power play, Mom:-)
But mom...you know that one cup MUST have something better in it than the other!!!!!
Mine are like that over cups too. As well as forks, plates, ANYTHING. GOtta love kids, huh.
As many before me have written here, "I want what you have, just because you have it."
And my question to you is...how do you react when you've barely had a sip of coffee by the time this takes place?! LOL!
I have no answer.
not a clue.
And I am infinitely grateful that we are past the days of finding the cups with cheese.
ewwww!
you'll get there too!
press on sister.
:-)
Blessings!
I have NO idea but I love the cute colorful picture!
And, maybe it's like Lord of the Flies, where the person with the cup is the leader of the pack??? In some weird alternate baby universe???
I usually just put my kids' names on their cups...but they really don't fight over them just yet. :)
It's kind of scary that it doesn't get better as they get older either. It's just different cups. Around here, everyone wants the green one.
We have the same issue - though it's not just with cups - it's with EVERYTHING!!!
Clothes, hairclips, bath toys, sandals, dress up clothes, books - you name it - they fight over it.
I now buy everything EXACTLY the same - even though I utterly despise doing so. It has made our live somewhat easier, and the arguing as has gone done tremendously!
It's like the 82nd law of parenting, or something.
Kid A will always want what Kid B has... even if Kid A and Kid B have the exact same thing.
Yea! It is way better when someone else has it! Then you realize that it is the one you HAD to have all along...you just didn't know it!
Meltdowns have happened here over the color of a cup! Insane!
I have no answers-just sympathy. Maybe when you are watching your grand kids fight over cups...you can laugh about it.
Maybe they're just learning early that you always want what someone else has.
No answers here but your post had me very in-the-moment!
Joy <--via Welcomistas :o)
aww - I solved this one a long time ago in my house- ALL THE CUPS MATCH!!!!!!!!!!! Not one single sippy cup is different from the next!
Post a Comment