Tuesday, August 4, 2009

On the Road Again, I Can Wait to get on the Road Again.

This summer, more specifically this past month of July, we have been traveling.

Every single weekend of the month involved a trip some where. We did not leave our home state and some of the trips were just a day trip but each trip involved packing, planning and preparing.

I am sick and tired of traveling! I am not going to take my family anywhere for a long, long time. We are staying home!

Ok, maybe we will go somewhere but no where that involves me packing a suitcase or preparing a food basket.

That being said, I am trying to find the silver lining of all this traveling. I discovered that this summer's travels were a little bit easier than last summer's travels and I learned a few things about my family.

So without further ado here are the top 10 things I learned about us traveling all over our beautiful state.

10. Highchairs, portable or other wise are a thing of the past.

9. No more more worrying about how I am going to warm up a bottle.

8. Every member of the family is able to walk and is able to walk with someone while holding hands. And since, every member is able to walk this makes them more susceptible to falls and I really need to carry bandaids in my bag.

7. The children MUST watch a DVD while in the car. Failure to have the DVD player ready will result in much crying and protesting, the sound of which is enough to leave a ringing in my ears. Also when said, DVD fails in the middle of the trip, it makes me have a small panic attack and drive 30 minutes out of our way to find a store with the part to fix it.

6. There is no need to take special food for the kids. They can eat what is served or choose to go hungry.

5. Every waking second in my children's lives while at a lake must be spent in the water. Unlike last year, where they wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

4. When we forget the pack-n-plays, the children can and do sleep just fine in a bed or on the floor.

3. When Claire is bored in the car, she will randomly say that different body parts are 'owie' in order to get attention.

2. When Hayden says that he has to go 'POOPY NOW', he really just has to go pee and we could have stopped at the side of the road instead of getting lost in some hick town that has only one-way streets and no entrance ramp to the highway.

1. A six pack of beer is not enough 'coping mechanism' for any road trip.

***********

Ok, so that is 2 days and 2 posts about travel. I got one more an then I will be done with this topic, maybe. Anyway, I don't know if you noticed or not but I have a new widget on my side bar. I have made the 'Buried with Children' community powered by BlogFrog.

I spent most of the day yesterday playing around with it and with the help of my friend Mama Kat, I have something set up over there. Also, SITS highlighted it this weekend. You can go here to read more about it.

So basically what it is, is a place for us to get to know each other better and discuss things, like this post. So come on over and lets chat.

20 comments:

Ash said...

So excellent!!

Especially the warming the bottle thing.

I figure it will just keep getting easier until we hit the tween years - then it will be a lot of griping, sulking and embarassment.

Can't wait :-)

lsnellings said...

I have discovered this summer that while a dvd is a must have, the same dvd no longer pleases both children at the same time!

Emily said...

You are a supermom for braving so many road trips with the small fries! I don't have that much patience.
I keep seeing the Blog Frog around...I should learn what that is! ;)

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i love it...and now i see a glimpse into the future. we will be able to travel again normal-like! and i thought we were the only ones who ever forgot the pack and play...

Mommy of M's said...

Sounds like a heck of a weekend!!

cat said...

A great great list! And yes, we are also having high chair issues.

Kristin said...

Can I get an AMEN on #6!

mommy nurse said...

and each year is even easier! They can now go in the water by themselves. I don't even have to go outside!

Anonymous said...

awesome! see these are the *freeing reasons to keep the baby fever at bay ;)

i have 1 more to potty train... and it's ON! lol

Brandy said...

#1 is so true...for that much traveling you need at least an 18pk.

Tamara Jansen said...

You and Mama Kat are some talented computer wizards! I can barely figure out how to change my status on Facebook, that's how computer illiterate I am. Great job ladies!

Gretchen said...

Ooh, you are learning young jedi.

May the force be with you.

Kathy B! said...

Oh man. Every once in awhile I get a lust for a new baby. And then I read something like this and remember how long and hard the road to 5 is (our magical age where it was easy to travle)... And then I can get by holding someone else's kid until the lust passes :)

Susie said...

Cool! I just became a member of your community:-)

Unknown said...

it just keeps getting easier, doesn't it? Adam will throw a bit of a loop in here for a few months now that he's started baby food...but I'm hoping to 'fast track' him through baby foods and get him onto table foods faster than the twins :-) But with nursing him - makes it much easier than worrying about bottles, etc!

Hope your August is quieter!!

April said...

i don't care if we're just pulling down the driveway - #7 is a MUST for us.

CaraBee said...

A 6 pack? A piece. Maybe.

Amy said...

Awesome post! I'm beginning to think that 2 is SO much easier than 1 when you have multiples!

Mary Ellen said...

I agree whole-heartedly about the DVD player. It amazes me that we grew up without this kind of back seat entertainment. Imagine how annoyed our parents were???

Helene said...

Jen, I totally get this post! Our vacation this year was SO much more enjoyable than last year. For the first time, we didn't have to drag bottles, PNP's, travel highchairs....it was SO nice to be free of all that stuff. When we walked into a restaurant, we didn't have to struggle with the staff to find 2 highchairs and 2 booster seats. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but it definitely was so much easier this year. I can only imagine what next year will be like (for both of us!!) Maybe we should meet up in the middle of the country and actually enjoy a chat while our kids play in the lake!!!!

The bloglog community sounds cool!