Friday, February 20, 2009

The Case of The Stealthy Poop

Wouldn't you know it, this always happens when I am in a rush to get out the door. While loading all the kids in the van, I lift up a baby, set him/her down in the seat and then I am hit in the nose with that smell. That lovely, oh so familar, odor.

It never fails.

I go in for a closer smell, just to make sure and yup its there, well I think its there. I ask the child, "Did you make a dirty diaper?"

The seemingly guilty one just looks at me and smiles. Well, I will take that as a yes.

I unbuckle the child, walk him/her in the house, take the coat off, undo the pants, open the diaper and.....


there is nothing, NOTHING!!!!!!!


I look up at the child, who is now rolling in fits of laughter.

"Really!?! Are you sure? It was just gas!?! Man, that is some powerful gas for such a little person."

I look more carefully through the diaper just to make sure I am not missing something. Close it up, redress the child and back out to the van.

Then as I finish with this child, my noise is whiffed with that smell. Damn, there is is again. The lovely odor of poop. I look sternly at the child I have just put in the seat, no smiles there. Good.

Moving on, I find the culprit, take that child out of their seat, walk back in the house, take their coat off, lay them down, open the diaper.....

this time there is poop. Thank God! Or surely I might have lost it if it was another 'stealthy poop'.

37 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

I am SO glad all that is past history now!

Jenners said...

Oh Lordy! It is AMAZING what smells these little people can come up with! I love that you check again to make sure you didn't miss it the first time. And then to be "happy" because you DID find a poop on another child ... surely that is some kind of twisted game they play with you. They are working against you! God Bless You -- I know for a fact I could not do what you do!

Allison said...

My daughter can be in just her diaper and t-shirt for the whole day (you know easily accessable diaper changes) and no poopie diapers. THE MINUTE we get her dressed and ready to leave the house - we can almost count on that oh so familiar odor. - so off come the clothes, the diaper change, and so on.....almost like she enjoys making me dress her twice.....lol

cat said...

Oh yes, know that one. The worst is if the 4 year old later admits they were the gassy one and not one of the babies.

Julie said...

All too familiar with that myself...

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i should design a stealth poop detector...i could make millions!

Karen said...

That is really funny. You know around here if someone passes gas, they are fight over who it belongs too. You can't even claim your own gas in this house without a fight.

Lula! said...

Did you say Stealthy Poop?

I so love you.

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

Augh! I hate it when that happens!! Well thankfully I only have one that could be the culprit....well, it could be one of the dogs or the husband too. None of them will admit to their gasiness.

Unknown said...

NOthing more fun than THINKING you are all ready to go and then BAM a poop or pee shuts ya down!

Brandy said...

You know you are a Mom when you're searching for poop. LOL!

I declared this Friendly Friday and mommaof4wife2r said I should stop by! I heart bloggy love!

Susie said...

Ha, ha, ha!! Stealthy:-) That crackes me up:-)

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

LOL! Funny post! Little stinkers!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

hahaha, this just happened here this morning! although we weren't headed anywhere we had just gotten dressed!

Sandy said...

I don't miss those days!

tiarastantrums said...

I have to say - I don't miss those days!!

CaraBee said...

Too funny! The stealth poop gets me every time.

Michelle said...

It's the kids that do it to ya. They just give you this "NOT ME!" look, so you can never really find the guilty one.

namaste said...

OMG, so funny! The stealth poop. Is it a military "thing". lol

Jennifer said...

LOL--that has happened to me too!! I can only imagine w/ triplets!!

Michelle said...

How funny! With triplets you only have a one in three chance of getting the right pooper unless the smell is distinctly one direction.

Things like this always happen when you are in a hurry.

Unknown said...

I would love to tell you I miss those days....I don't-

: ) Have a great weekend!

Kathy B! said...

It's all a giant conspiracy to make you late! I'm telling you, you could get up 2 hours early and SOMETHING would happen. Stealthy poop, though? That is a GOOD one :)

Ash said...

Murphy's Law: the one with the most clothing is the one who dealt it.

Frustration!! I so hear you.

Nicole said...

I am so glad I only have one in diapers now! I remember asking "which one of you is poopy?!" and they would both say not me!

momma said...

friday is chili day at school. little man is supposed to take his lunch because he is a silent but deadly farter! somehow, though, he manages to "forget" his lunch. he thinks it is funny to "poot and run."

Cookie said...

LOL! Thanks for reminding me how lucky I am to have my kids past diapers!

Michelle said...

I'll bet you are going to celebrate when you don't have to change anyones poopy diaper. :)

Emily said...

So funny! My youngest actually did that today...got everyone loaded and buckled and then I smell the smell. Undo him, and no poo. Put him back in the carseat, buckle him back in and then I heard it come out! Arg! I'm glad I'm not the only one drowning in diapers! I'm been reading your blog for a few weeks now and it's just hilarious and your family is precious!

Rhea said...

I don't know how you change three diapers at a time, all day long. Whew, that's a lot of poopy smelling.

Allegro ma non troppo said...

I accidently taught my little boy the phrase, "No poo, just a toxic fart." His grandma was not impressed.

Whitney said...

You know, I come to your blog to hear funny stories about parenthood. However, sometimes I think to myself, "You know, I've already got a husband that emits "stealthy poops", so do I really need another "stealthy poop-er?"

Then again you make it sound fun (not just funny) too.

Jenn said...

Grayson is the king of smelly! He has big man gas!!!!!!

jori-o said...

Oh, heavens, I only have one in diapers, so it's pretty obvious who the culprit is when the odor starts wafting. But there have been times before when I'm positive I'm going to have to deal with some full drawers and there's nothing there--how DO such cute little people make such BIG awful smells??!?

Caitlin said...

Hahahaha! How funny! It's hard to imagine that they are all going to think that they are too cool for you someday- when today you sniff all of their butts for poop! :) I don't know how you drag yourself through your day!

Gretchen said...

Don't think I've ever known someone GLAD to find poop! LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that happens to. And what is that nutt sniffing thing we do when we smell crap? I find myself doing it in public and am humiliated!