How many times in your life as a mother, have you turned the TV on to Sesame Street and plopped the kids down in front of it in hopes that you can have 10 or if you are really, really lucky, 20 minutes to yourself?
You know time in which you can take a shower, fold a load or 2 of laundry, clean up the kitchen, check your email and a blog (or three) or just sit down, drink some coffee and maybe have more for breakfast then the 5 bites of waffle that the kids "shared" with you.
I have done this, many times. But then one day as I turned to walk away something on the show caught my attention and even made me crack a smile and laugh. I was intrigued so I sat down and actually watched the show.
And I learned something, no not the letter of the day I am pretty sure I know all my letters and numbers too for that matter. No, I learned that Sesame Street has some pretty darn entertaining parts. Some parts, you could actually call down right funny.
You see they take popular shows and make little parodies on them. The are pretty clever and the puppets, well they are fantastic. The likeness to the actual person is pretty amazing.
Well don't take my word for it. Watch for yourselves. I have gathered some clips from some of my favorites.
'Dancing with Triangles'.
'Meal or No Meal'.
And last but not least and my personal favorite, 'Law and Order: Special Letter's Unit'.
So the next time you turn Sesame Street on for your kids, I encourage you to watch with them. Your blessing might be two fold, you will spend some time with your kids and stop the mommy guilt for letting them watch TV, yet again and you will be entertained and probably get a laugh for two. And lets face it, who doesn't need to laugh more.
Amusing Back To School Notebooks
1 day ago





36 comments:
Our Sesame street is really NOT on that level - I promise! It is called Takalani Sesame and so stupid my 4 year old refuses to watch.
I love Sesame Street and I think you're totally correct. I love the one where REM is on there singing Shiny Happy People and the puppets are all dancing around. I think you've nailed it.
I love Sesame Street. It's the best of any kids show out there.
I saw the dancing with triangles one and it totally cracked me up.
You are too funnY!
I have been very surprised by the quality of children's programming out there. I wrongly assumed it was all singing dinosaurs, but there really is some good stuff. Sesame Street is definitely one of the best.
Seasame Street is really great!
Visiting from SITS.
My kids LOVED Sesame Street when they were younger. I loved to sit with them and watch. It was good fun and cheap enterttainment.
How cute! I still love Sesame Street. :)
WOW! Awesome! I was hooked on the show as a kid myself but my kids never really got into it. Sad...I know.
P.S. You have an award on my blog!
My kids never really did Sesame Street, but somehow my 2 year old knows who Ernie and Bert are. Very very strange.
Sesame is created with adults in mind. lucky for those of us who sit and watch! Love the cameos when the celebrities mock themselves.
too funny - my kids never really got into sesame street
I think they put those grown-up references in the show so that you can watch it with them:-)
That is hilarious. I've been trying to get my daughter to watch Seasame Street. So far, she only lasts a couple minutes at the time...
Oh, my kids always make me watch with them... I know all these clips well... the Law and Order is my favorite too...
How sad that I have seen all of those clips! Elmo is still Aidan's favorite!
Thanks so much for your comments about my interview :) I'm a dork and love answering questions, haha.
I have loved Sesame Street since I was a child. I have the first two releases of Sesame Street Old School, which Maggie loves watching as well. Unfortunately, that's all we watch now because here in Montana, you cannot pick up PBS on the Satellite and the Sprout Channel seems to only show episodes from 1998-2001, so we've seen all of those too many times to count. I like the old stuff, with David and Mr. Hooper. I'm just happy Maggie is over her all Elmo all the Time phase.
There's also a clip of Elmo and Ricky Gervase (sp?) on YouTube that is hysterical! Just search for Ricky and Elmo.
Oh, we LOVE all 3 of those clips you posted! My favorite is "Meal or No Meal". I love watching Sesame Street with Tyler - it just cracks me up. I grab my cup of hot tea (my morning "coffee") and sit and watch it with him. Sometimes when Craig gets home, I tell him what funny clip was on today laughing the whole time....sad I know. I also like the bald little Dr Feel (Dr Phil). How can they these puppets look so much like and have such similar mannerisms to the one who inspired the puppet in the first place?!?
hehe I saw the Law and Order one before and it made me crack up too.
We love Sesame Street at our house! You are right, watch it and you realize that it is quite witty:)
Those clips are great. I would rather watch Dancing with Triangles than the real thing.
I grew up watching Sesame Street and I did watch it with the girls. It is funny and I did love it.
You know PBS show I loved the most? Arthur. I actually named Kate after Arthurs baby sister. :)
My personal favorite is Between the Lions!!!! Sadly, my kids don't love it as much as I do.
And I think Seasame Street could do without Elmo. Ug he's annoying. Is that horrible of me to admit?
I need to pay more attention to Sesame St! Funny stuff!
You are so right! Sesame Street always has celebrities on there and a slight nod to the adults who are probably trapped in the room watching, too.
My favorite? When Robert DiNero pretended he was a cabbage.
Those were great! I had no idea that Sesame Street did that! I'll have to watch it one of these days! And thanks for stopping by my blog and welcoming me to SITS!
Yes, Sesame Street seems to make a point of putting a little something in there for the adults too. It was so cute when my husband was home with our first toddler during the days. He was a major Sesame Street fan. (My husband, not my son so much. lol)
I agree -- Sesame Street and The Muppets too are fantastic and have some really good humor. And my husband and I taped "The Penguins of Madagascar" FOR OURSELVES! Our son has no interest in it but watch them ourselves. : )
Some serious educational entertainment. I love SS.
That rocks! I always KNEW Seasme Street was amazing when I was tot, I'm glad to see that it still is a high quality show!
hysterical...and so true!!! i love the dr phill make up dude...
My kids have sadly outgrown Seasame Street. I really miss Elmo.
We don't watch Sesame Street as much anymore - but it is by far one of the best children's shows out there!
However... I'm sure I'll be back on the S.S. circuit in the next year or so!
I love love love Sesame Street. You're right, share it with your kids, makes for some fun conversations. I had a post about it recently at http://jenny-jennywhocaniturnto.blogspot.com/2009/04/sesame-street-snopes-and-computer.html
I remember that letter M. years ago they had a bit where when they found him, he turned upside down and pretended to be a W.
Post a Comment