There was always that one thing that your mother did while you were growing up that was so annoying that you swore that you would never do. That one thing that she always did that would just make your skin crawl every single time that she did it. And come hell or high water, there was no way that you would ever going to put your children through that.
But then it happens when you least expect it. That phrase slips. That behavior just comes out. You can help it. And then you realize that you are becoming your mother.
Well, I am here to tell you that this has not happened to me and its not going to. Now, before I tell you what this annoying trait was that my mother had. I would like to take a minute to say that I love my mother very, very much. I am really proud to be her daughter. She is an amazing woman. Her good heart and her faith never ceases to stop me in my tracks and make me rethink things. I could not ask for a better mother and friend. I cherish her and our relationship.
The one thing that I said that I would never do that my mother always did is spend Saturday cleaning.
Growing up, the one thing that I remember about my mother is that she seemed to spend every waking moment on Saturday cleaning the house. I understand that Saturday was her only day home because she was a working mother but what I don't like about this it that the memories of her cleaning greatly out weigh the ones of her spending time with us kids.
I have more memories of her showing me how to vacuum a chair or washing base boards than I do of her playing with us. My Dad was the one that took us to have fun while my mom stayed home to clean.
So now I am the mom. I have children and it is my job to keep the house. So do you think that I am a cleaning wonder just like my mother? Nope, quite the opposite. I like to say that my mother cleaned the clean right out of me.
When I went off to college, my first ever experience living on my own, I didn't clean my dorm room for a whole year. It was FABULOUS! No dusting. No walls to wash. No chairs to vacuum. No base boards to scrub. Total cleaning freedom.
And the fact that I had triplets plus one aka 4 kids under the age of 4, pretty much nailed the lid on the coffin on the whole cleaning thing. I just don't do it. Well, thats not true, I just don't do it often.
I can't remember the last time the floor was vacuumed, the last time the bathrooms were cleaned or the last time I dusted. I have a precise method of knowing when I have to clean. It is when the kids bring me pieces of dried food from the carpet, the toilet will change from white to black and I will be able to make a snow man in the dust.
And my reason for this besides the fact that I truly hate to clean is that I want my kids to remember me as a mother who had fun with them and did things with them. Not the mother who had a perfectly clean house.
I may be lacking balance here but I truly think that there are more important things in life and I can clean when I am retired and the kids have left the nest. Maybe.
Amusing Back To School Notebooks
1 day ago






32 comments:
Amen sista!
My mother spent every Sunday cleaning. And she was very grumpy while doing it so I made sure to stay far away!
I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment! Life is too short to spend it cleaning ... as long as the health department isn't going to come calling, I say let it slide as long as possible!
And just think when all the kids get older, you can hand out chores! That is what my mother did ... we all had to help out by dusting, vaccuming, laundry, dishes, whatever, before we could play or go out on saturdays. This is where having several kids will be a huge advantage! : )
i use that "you'll poke your eye out" way too much. when i do, i cringe...
and since my momma is OCD and we had to bleach the baseboards once a week {true btw}, i refuse now. when she comes over, she always cleans something. i invite her often. ;)
Kids grow up too fast to sweat the small stuff. We call our house "lived in" because while it's clean overall, it's definitely not showroom perfect.
i always used to get upset when i said something that totally was my mom or dad. now i'm kind of happy that bits and pieces of them are constantly coming out of my mouth. there are far worse people to turn into than my parents.
I got the cleaning bug from my mom! Augh! However, I try to just spend like one hour cleaning every Saturday morning (the basics) to get it out of the way and have fun the rest of the weekend.
I couldn't agree more with you Jen! Memories of fun and good times are WAY more important then knowing that you've scrubbed the toilet shiny.
And you know what, you're kids will love you for it.
I think I'll be the same way when I'm a mommy.
You're a good woman!
ah, a woman after my own heart! I am the same way. Why spend your life cleaning when you can be having FUN with your kids! I now delegate cleaning to my older kids when it needs to be done. So instead of me cleaning for hours and hours, we all clean the whole house in about an hour! Then on to the FUN!
Great post! I feel the same way. I keep my house cleanish, but really only buckle down when it becomes unbearable or someone is coming to visit. I wish we could afford to have a cleaning service again. Sigh.
I totally agree! You should see my house...it's a total pigstye. But in the meantime I'm having fun with my kids. So when we play ring-a-round the rosie for the 20th time in 30 minutes and we fall on the carpet and someone finds a raisin stuck in the carpet, I just shrug it off. We're having fun...who cares about the raisin in the carpet?
I have to agree. My sis-n-law always says I have OCD when it comes to cleaning, but she is only playin'. My house is clean, but it is lived in, no scrubbing base boards for me. Life is to short ya gotta have fun too.
I almost said that I wish I was the kind of mom who could spend all day Saturday cleaning, but when you put in into the perspective of how you remember your mom growing up, it makes me glad I'm not a neat freak. (So, I wish fairies would come clean my house all day Saturday.)
I think I'm too far in the other direction. It's getting so that it's hazardous to walk through my house at night.
Do you think your mom is looking for a place to stay for awhile? I cook good. ;o)
I remember Saturdays like that.
But I think that "thing" for me was that my mom took (ahem, TAKES) work with her everywhere she goes if she isn't driving. She's a teacher. I understand there's lots to do. But...going to Wal-Mart? She drags out the grade book. On vacation? An entire crate of papers to grade, projects to look at, writing to correct tags along.
So far I have not fell into the pit of bringing work home...I avoid that pit like the plague.
I would definitely rather spend time with my kid than cleaning.
I'm working on getting him to "help" me clean so I can do both at the same time. For some reason he thinks it's a good time. Of course, if I had 4 under 4 there is no way anything would ever be clean.
I have the exact same memories of my mother. She never played with us. She was always too busy cooking or cleaning or something not related to us.
I took the exact opposite approach with my own children and now as they're growing up, our relationship is extraordinarily close and fun and full of happiness because of it.
You're doing the right thing! Cleaning can wait.
i agree with you - my mom used to say that a clean house was a sign of a boring life!!
i also think that doing laundry one load at a time (of only the clothes/towels necessary for the next day) is perfectly acceptable, too :)
the dreaded saturday clean...I learned to sleep through my mother vacuuming my room while I was sleeping at 8 AM! I will never ever ever do this...Saturdays are for adventure's with/out family plan and simple. (or anyother day for that matter that suits us)! :D
I totally respect this. I have seen the quote around,
"a messy home is evidence of happy children."
It's so true. If you can focus on them, instead of the cleanliness of your home, that's so great.
(We had Saturday cleaning growing up too-blech!)
Wonderful!! I have the same cleaning philosophy. I want my boys to remember a fun mommy not a spotless home!!
Ditto!
I also have never made my children eat all the food on their plate. I remember sitting in the kitchen alone with my food, long after dinner.
I too LOVE my mom, though.
I came from SITS...HI!
Hi- just stopping by to say hi. I am a first time participant. Check out my non profit website
www.parenthoodforme.org
We need help spreading the word
Agreeing with you 100%.
My mom was the same exact way (must be the generation). EVERY SINGLE SATURDAY was spent cleaning. She never made me clean, but that is all she did. If the house wasn't clean, she was stressed out.
Now she regrets it. She loves to see the moms that my sisters and I have become; moms that play with their babies and put off the cleaning until later.
Good for you!
I SO love my mom and she is a good mom YET I do not want to become her.
I so love this post. And yet, it makes me want to go clean up some stuff.
BUt I know what you mean... my mom was the same way and when I catch myself doing the whole "I can't play with you because I have to clean" thing, I stop and do something with the kids.
Also once they get older they can help with chores. PLEASE make them do this... not in a neurotic sense but in a healthy way. They will learn responsibility and that it takes everyone in the family helping for the family to work right. My kids do one chore 3 times a week. The chores are like: empty the bathroom trash cans. Or, bring the laundry hamper to the laundry room (I sort & wash - they only have to bring the dirty clothes). The chores are so quick and I hope they are learning something.
But, okay, this wasn't supposed to be a comment about getting your kids to help. It's about the fact that you are so awesome to enjoy playing with your kids. I think motherhood was just a lot different years ago. Kids were expected to keep themselves occupied and housewives were expected to be more like housekeepers than engaging mothers. I think the roles have really changed now.
I am the opposite of you but for the same reason. My mother was an excessive hoarder and never cleaned. In response, I am a control freak who cleans everything. I guess we either become our mothers or the anthesis of our mothers.
I agree! I can't imagine how you'd have time to do anything with 4 kids! Just enjoy them!
How funny I JUST wrote up a post on this exact subject. I had no idea you wrote about it too...I HATE cleaning...but I like my house to be clean...so now what!?!
That is a great post; and so much wisdom in it. I feel the same way about my dad: always pushing me to do more and to do the job better. I found my husband grabbing me by the shoulders shaking me, asking why I felt it necessary to make sure everything was ALWAYS so dang clean?! It was then that I realized the curse had passed to me, and I needed to hire a housekeeper and go sit down and enjoy my family!
My mom was the subject of my Friday post... ya... I am trying really hard to be everything that she isn't....
I'm trying SO hard to find this balance in my life right now because I am the mom that spends all day cleaning. I can't help it. I'm seriously OCD. I think that have drugs for this kind of thing, but I'm not sure.
I relate with Susie. My mom's house is a disaster. I love her, but can't stand to go visit. I always beg her to come visit me. And I never want people to feel uncomfortable in my home because it's so messy.
I must say though, in all the pictures/videos I have seen of your house it looks pretty darn clean to me!
Good for you! I so rebel on cleaning myself... which is why I'm so thrilled I'm in a full-service hotel for the next 3 ish months... I love a clean house - but when it's cleaned by someone else!
And I agree with the above commenters - your house always looks so neat and tidy in your photos!
Post a Comment