Monday, April 6, 2009

When Real Life Mimics A TV Show.

This past Thursday night, the final episode of ER was on. I used to be a HUGE fan of the show. I watched it religiously in college. I would tune in week after week for the drama, my kind of drama. I loved the past pace of the ER and the adrenaline rush. I so wanted to work in the ER when I was finished with nursing school.


During nursing school, I actually got a job in a hospital in the Emergency Department and found that the show was nothing like the real deal. But I continued to watch the show.

As my nursing knowledge grew and I found my home in the ICU, I had to stop watching the show because the show is just plain wrong. While watching episodes, I would spend most of the show yelling back at the TV things like, "You can't do that!" "NO! Oh man that is so wrong." "You can't shock asystole." "Yeah, right like a doctor is going to do that!"

So when I read that the show was going to end (it is about time) I had to watch the last episode for old times sake. I have to say it was kind of a let down. The episode was not very good. The only thing it did was put me to bed way too late for having to get up early to go to work and give me dreams about bloody explosions all night long.

After a not so restful, short night of sleep, I got up and went to work on Friday. I was pleased to find out that my assignment at work consisted of 2 patients that were "easy." By that I mean, they were not super sick, they were alert, not on any life sustaining equipment, easy patients. It was going to be a good day.

So good in fact that I felt that I needed a donut and an other cup of coffee. I asked one of my lovely co-workers to keep an eye on my patients while I quickly ran off the unit to get coffee and donuts for us. As I ended my report to her about the patients I said some famous last words, "They should be fine and won't need a thing."

I turned and walked off the unit.

In the cafeteria, I got us some coffee, took my time in picking just the right donut with the right amount of chocolate dripping off the edges, paid and then walked back to the unit.

As the elevator opened, I heard and saw any nurse's worst fear. The code lights and alarms were going off from my patients room. I ran to the room and as I entered the room, the situation just went from bad to worse. It was so surreal that I thought for a moment that I was still dreaming. I thought that I was still in one of my ER show dreams from the night before. There was no way that this could have been happening.

(I am going to stop and spare you all the gory details but if there are some of my nurse readers that want to know just ask and I will email you.)

As people rushed past me and orders were given, my co-workers and I began to function as a true team just as seen on the show. This was one of the only things that the show portrayed correctly. The teamwork and collaboration between everyone when it comes to saving a life.

I am not sad that the show ER is over. I really don't need to watch it because in a small sense I have lived it many, many times.

I love being a Critical Care RN. I can't see myself doing anything else. I have been in some pretty horrific situations but I have also been in some pretty awesome ones. I get the pleasure of working with some of the most amazing people, people that I would trust the lives of my loved ones with or my own life.

So, so long ER. You will not be missed at least by me. I have something much better than any TV drama, the real thing, the ICU.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed in the finale as well. But, I chalked it up to the fact that I stopped watching it several years ago and don't really have a connection with the cast anymore.

So tell me...Grey's Anatomy? Does that do anything for you? It sure does for me. Well, it did up until this stupid season.

Kristin said...

I didn't even watch the finale. I watched ER all through nursing school as well and really quit watching when the were in Africa. I just got to confused and bored with the story line. Anyhow I know what you mean. The thing that they got right was the team work. I loved being in the PICU and knowing that the people around me know just what to do to save a childs life. I kind of miss running codes now that I am a stay at home mommy. I guess I will return to the action one day.

Susie said...

I'll have to come back and read your post!! I haven't watched the finale yet!!!

Lula! said...

I quit watching when Scott and I got married...'cause he's like you--he'd sit and complain about all the mistakes--"No one can be intubated in 3 seconds like that!"--and this was during his residency, when he was all hot to trot about being a new doctor.

Yeah...real life is more exciting. :)

Heather of the EO said...

I haven't seen ER in years, but I watched a bit of the finale. I was pretty much totally uninterested since I had no idea who a lot of the characters are. But it seemed like nothing was happening.

Anyway, I'm so glad you love your job. The world needs more of that, huh? :)

Emily said...

Pretty cool post. Was the patient OK?
I have always watched ER and am soooo glad it's finally over (for some reason I just couldn't stop watching!) I haven't seen the finale yet, but bummed to hear it's not that great. Oh well. My dad's a vascular surgeon and when we used to watch ER together one of the highlights for me was listening to all the not-true stuff! It drive my dad crazy too! lol
Real life is better than TV anyways...

Danyele Easterhaus said...

wow...my heart actually skipped a beat, and it wasn't for the chocolate donut this time. you really rock, girl. and now, i have to know, is your other nursing friend now sitting back while you "owe" her? poor thing.

Diana said...

Oh, reliving my "ER" moments in my head right now wondering which are like yours you had @ work the other day - if someone else asks, copy me on the email chalked full of details - if not, don't type it up just for me :-) I think the most important question I should ask is - How is the patient? But as a fellow ICU nurse, I have to know - did you ever get to eat your dounut?

Denise said...

The finale sucked. I was a huge fan years ago, quit for a few years, and the last few years I've been watching again. The ending was just like any other episode. Grrr!

I'm a transcriptionist and I type primarily ER reports, so it was neat to see what it looks like from the inside, whether they do it wrong or not lol. Our ERs in Okieland primarily have snotty nosed kids and hands being eaten by lawnmowers though... nothing truly exciting like on the show lol!

Kathy B! said...

I quite watching long, long ago... Now Grey's Anatomy? I'm liking that (as you said, before this season) a lot!

What an exciting and fulfilling job you must have. We are all lucky that there are people like you!

Kathy B! said...

I meant that Blue Violet said she liked Grey's... I need coffee... And it will probably seem really stupid, too. I'm not even in the medical field and I can tell that some of it is really far-fetched... but the smarmy soap aopera part is fun :)

I'm leaving now...

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

I haven't watched new ER in a while, but I saw quite a few reruns when I was home on maternity leave. I had to chuckle when you said this:
"You can't shock asystole."
(I work for a company that makes pacemakers and defibrillators, so it irritates me too. hehe.)

Lani said...

I'm not in the health care field but I find it so facinating. I think you should not spare any gory details, I was getting excited to hear what happened! Did it turn out ok?

Unknown said...

I'm not even in patient care of the hospital and would yell whenever I watched ER. I do the same thing with Scrubs, but keep watching.

Thanks for being a great critical care RN!!

Kat said...

I quit watching ER when they were in Africa...to me that is when they jumped the shark.

Otter Thomas said...

I have never watched ER. It seems like it has been on my entire life. I am glad we have some real life people out there doing a good job like you though.

Lani said...

P.S. Thanks for the suggestion on our blog- we will eventually get the blogroll split into twins/trips/quads, but right now we are working on a few other things with the blog so it may be a little while:)

tiarastantrums said...

I have the last 4 episodes DVRed and have yet to watch them . . . I don't think I could do what you do - nope not at all! I'm giving you a standing ovation girlie!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I watched ER the first season...then I watched the final episode. I was seriously disappointed too...

I just want to say God Bless you for all you do! You are awesome!
After everything my husband went through with his heart surgery, it was always the critical care nurses who were the best!

(my monster giveaway is up!)

Allison said...

I too were a true fan in the beginning...I kind of tapered off after doctor green died. I did not watch the final episode - I kind of wish I did.

I congratulate you on your lif'es work - It definately takes a special person to be a nurse. I could NEVER be one. I used to feel sick to my stomach watching ER, I can't imagine living it.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I haven't watched ER in forever. I am glad that I did not try to watch the last episode...I am not sure that any of my favorites are even on the show anymore.

But...I must say that I am glad we are done with the ICU :-) Though the nurses there were the best.

Rachel said...

i can't watch shows like that because they stress me out. i think its awesome there are tuff mamas out there like you looking after us!

cat said...

So what do you thing of Greys?

jori-o said...

I'm wondering how your patient ended up too! And ER was totally part of college for me, but I stopped watching years ago too. It just seemed like every week was a bigger catastrophe than last week...it got old.

Michelle said...

I could not believe how long the show was on. I was a religious old school ER watcher back in the day.

CaraBee said...

I have a feeling that few shows accurately depict any profession. I bet CSI's would say the same thing of all those shows and lawyers of Boston Legal, etc and as a housewife I can say for dang sure that my life is no Desperate Housewives. I'm not surprised to hear that ER is inaccurate. I stopped watching the show about the time Georgie boy left. I thought about watching the finale but decided I wanted to let my memories of the show lie.

Amy B said...

I would love to know about your patient..so if you happen to do a email about it..can ya let me read it to.
I agree ER was just NOT up to par..

momma said...

we, too, used to watch er religiously. but when the main characters that started the show started dying or leaving the show, we stopped watching - it was just too weird and too repetitive (how many times can an er get shot up/exploded/otherwise destroyed). it was time for it to go!

Shawn said...

I'm the same as Allison..watched a ton but faded away after Dr. Green died...Clooney was gone...just wasn't the same.

I've been an RN for, yikes, 24 years and am a total adrenaline junkie. Now I'm working in a little bitty 12 bed hospital though, totally different than NICU, or L&D, or high-risk antepartum.

My joke was always if you were pregnant or under 12 pounds, I was the nurse for you. If you had a penis that wasn't getting circumsized..I had no idea what to do with ya! lmao..

All My Monkeys said...

YEah, I wanna hear the gory stuff too. I'm not skiddish.

I quit watching ER when I couldn't get the channel (no cable) and now I have that channel but would so rather watch Grey's.

I wanted to be a nurse for a long time when I was a kid. (Then I had a really hard time passing Bio so figured nursing wasn't for me. I don't like to study that much.) But you kind make me wanna be one. I appreciate it when people have "found" their calling and are passionate about and enjoy what they do.

Nicole said...

I am so glad there are people like you that love the medical field. I pass out at the site of blood, mine or anybody else's. I don't watch Dr. shows AT ALL (or crime shows) because even TV blood makes me light-headed. Thanks for doing what you do! And farewell ER!

Sarah said...

I stopped watching when Dr. Whatshisname (Greene?? He played in Top Gun...) died. Didn't watch the finale.

Thanks for what you do though!

Jennifer said...

I used to love ER but hadn't watched in a couple of years. I did tune into the finale for old time's sake--and I thought it was pretty good!

I understand though about comparing it to your work--my mom is a nurse and she says the same thing!

Wow--what a scary day you had at the hospital--I hope it all turned out ok!!

Karen said...

I had to quit watching ER many seasons ago. I just couldn't take the nightmares that followed. The closest I get to that type of show now, is an occassional Scrubs episode.

Gretchen said...

Well, I have continued to watch ER long after my husband said they jumped the shark. I have always just taken it at face value because I know squat about hospitals. I'm all about the school shows - like Saved by the Bell. THAT was totally realistic. ha ha But yes I thought the finale was a big let-down. And, am I the only one who noticed that Kerry Weaver suddenly wasn't limping nor walking with a cane? It pisses me off that they NEVER DID explain that whole thing.