Thursday, May 7, 2009

I Can't Handle 3 Toddlers, Can You?

I can handle 3 infants. It is actually easy once you get the hang of it. Its all about the schedule. Once you have that you just repeat it over and over and over again. They ate, the play(in one spot), the poop, they sleep and repeat.

I can handle 3 wobblers. It is a little more difficult than the infants but not too much. Sure, they are on the move but its not too bad because they are slow and they are too short to really reach anything dangerous. They are also pretty dependent, still not really interested in doing things for themselves.


But

I

Can't

Handle

Three

Toddlers!



More specially, I can't handle three 2 years olds. These kids are going to put me in an early grave. The truth is that they are not even 2 yet and my white flag is already more than half way up the pole.

If you want to know what I am talking about just think about your own two year old, kid not two think of when they will be or when they were and multiple that by three. Yeah, you feel me now. It is non-stop three fold.

But if you truly don't know, I have examples.

Claire has learned to climb out of her crib. So now when she is suppose to be sleeping she is out in her room playing. She is free, I tell you free. The one place that I could put her where I knew that she would be safe and contained is gone.

We have had a total language explosion. Words and phrase are flying at me from every corner of the house. Everyone wants to know, "What's that?" "Where's Daddy?" and then there is the "Look, Momma Look!" and the "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy" My head is usually spinning by 9am.

Along with this language explosion has come back talk. Every single time I ask Jake to do something or go some where, I get a big fat, "NO!" and then he runs in the opposite direction. Oh and Claire, she loves to scream "Mine, Mine, Mine!" whenever anyone touches anything that she has. And I am not going to even talk about the temper-tantrums, good Lord, they are fierce.

The other thing that goes along with being two is the independence and the limit testing. They want to do everything themselves from stripping naked at the most inconvenient times to drinking from a non-sippy cup like Hayden and then proceeding to throw the contents all over the house when they are done.

Some days I feel like I am in a constant state of battle, a battle of wills that is. I tell them no and they tell me no. I say it louder and they say it louder. I slap their hand and they slap me. Back and forth and round and round we go, all day long. Its no wonder by the end of the day, I am done. I just don't have anything left in me. Some days, I just give up all together. Discipline, whats that?

So you see, there is no way that I can handle three 2 year olds. No way! I just can't because then I start to think ahead to 3, which if Hayden is any indicator was much, much worse than 2, you will know why I have totally given the house over to the kids and crawled into the corner with my bottle of wine, rocking until it is all over or at least until they all hit 4. Yes, I think I can handle three 4 year olds.



Now I know that I must limit set and discipline my children and I do. This post is just me venting because Good Lord this is hard. I remember being pregnant and crying because there was no way I could handle 3 babies. Well, if I only knew. I would go back to 3 babies in a heart beat, 3 babies that was the easy stuff.

48 comments:

Unknown said...

oh poor you
poor poor you
my days of toddlers are long gone but still, i remember
and YOU HAVE THREE
do you drink ?
START !

CynthiaK said...

I've got only one of those now (although one of the others is in that dreaded 3 stage you mention) but I could not NOT handle any more than one of Finn at any time. I do not know how you can cope. I cannot even offer advice. Except keep a good stock of wine.

The Wilcoxson's said...

I laughed so hard reading your blog entry because i know exactly how you feel EXCEPT that I have a almost 3 year old and a 9 month old that walks almost. I thought I was the only one that wants to raise the white flag and the one with a headache before breakfast is over. I love the phrases, my triplets and Elijah do the same thing. Some of there expressions are "what happened?", "where's the doggie?" and of course the ones that you wrote. and "mine, mine, mine." I feel like I am in the Finding Nemo movie with the seaguls. Just know that we are there with you and all you can do sometimes is laugh and of course there is drinking. LOL

The Wrenns said...

And this is when I'd start training them to watch cartoons on TV...yeah, I know the doctors say NO. But I bet they don't stay at home every day with an energetic, independent-but-still-clingy toddler...let alone 3 of them! You'll survive, hopefully with hair intact and not-so-terrible bags under your eyes!! Good luck!

Gretchen said...

Okay, so here is what you do...

wait, did you REALLY think I had an answer? Boy those kids really HAVE fried your brain.

I am just kidding because one kid can fry a person's brain, let alone 4 kids, and especially toddlers.

All I can say is, try to remember that one day you will look back on this time as "the easy time" (like when they are all driving, or all needing tutoring at the same time, or all going to college at the same time...)

You'll make it! Hang in there!!

Scary Mommy said...

I really don't know how you do it-- you are my hero!!! I've never had a kid crawl out of a crib. OY!!

jori-o said...

I cannot imagine having 3 of Xander.

(and you realize that somewhere down the road, you will say, "I wish I could have them again when they were TWO! THAT was so easy compared to THIS!" It's the way of the world, I'm afraid.)

Liz Jimenez said...

Sing it, sister. Sometimes I really and truly wonder if my two 21-month-olds and I will make it through the day. Add another 50% (and then some) on top of that? Yeesh.

Jenn said...

I am amazed everyday how you do it!! I can't imagine (and don't want to)!!

Susie said...

I am feeling you!! Go ahead and vent away! You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so glad I am not there. You will get there, and when they are thirty something you can laugh at their efforts as parents!
Judy B

Ash said...

Have you looked into one of those crib tents yet?

Some people liken them to the "leashes" (which I don't have an issue with), but seriously honey, she won't remember a thing.

I'm thinking one for each of them.

Or how about one large one for your bed to keep them out?!

Grace said...

I have one two year old grandson, who I seriously love, but I couldn't imagine 3 of them running around. But you would get 3 times the kisses and cuddles!

Jill said...

2 was definitely a hard age... we kept saying if we could survive 2, we'd be great at age 3.

3 sucked. Thought we'd never survive it...

4 is giving us a run for our money.

Good luck!!

debi9kids said...

get a crib tent! I got one and it has kept Emma "contained", otherwise she would be free too. LOL

You gotta love the toddler phase... they are just so clever and learning so much. Must love this phase or you will lose your mind!

I have 2 toddlers now, but I have had 3 at once (twice) and you are right, it is overwhelming. But, you can do it!

shortmama said...

I wish I could say that I feel your pain but having only one at a time I cant even begin to imagine. Truly cannot even fathom! I empathize though!

Anonymous said...

Dude. I am spent just reading this post. I have three. Of different ages. And only ONE almost two year old and I am done too. I love this venting post because it's how I feel just being a mom. Period. Without triplets!!! Yes, you are a wonder woman and yes, you will get through it cause that is what wonder women do.

:-)

My lil' guy started climbing out of his crib at 19 months. He's been in a toddler bed since 20 months with a gate at his doorway. It sucks but at least he's still somewhat contained. And crib tent? Huh??

pan x 8 said...

WOO HOO!! This is me giving you "kudos" for taking the 3 almost-2-year olds because I can't even get a handle on my 1 + my little 1 year old! Between us, they have won and I just keep jumping around them like it might change things...

Stephanie said...

I know exactly what you mean! With my twins it was easy until they hit 14 months, then all hell broke loose. With the Trio, I am very nervous, they will be 1 next month and that 14 month mark is approaching very quickly. But the twins at 3 for me has been great, and they are such big helpers and very protective over their siblings. I am hoping 1-2 is much easier this time around! Well at least having an older one, you know it does get better! :) Hang in there!

Givinya De Elba said...

Oh boy Jen. I haven't read your previous comments because I am afraid I will read some "helpful advice" from someone that might must make me want to smack them.

I have one two year old and one four year old. The language explosions, the constant questions, the backchat, the smacking Mummy back - I'm a pretty clever Mum, but I think I've met my match. And Thingamababy is due in August!!

People give me advice and I feel like screaming, "But you haven't got ANY experience in parenting Nat and Anna! You know NOTHING!" That's not a very kind thing to say though, is it?

We'll hang in there together, hey? Once your triplets are 4, I will have ANOTHER 2 year old and God willing (if I'm still functional), my final baby on its way or an infant.

God help us. I mean that literally, not blasphemously.

Allegro ma non troppo said...

I'm actually surprised you don't vent more often! You must be in control more often than not, but EVERY mum out here knows what "those" days or "those" weeks are like - just a BIT TOO MUCH of everything.

You're an awesome mum! You've accomplished so much already! Better days are coming! We all know you love them to bits.

Anonymous said...

You'll do great, but Good Lord I'm sure it is hard.

I only have one and he keeps me on my toes.

Good luck.

MoonNStarMommy said...

I soooooooo feel your pain, only I have 2 that are about the same level only 16 months apart. Nathan just learned to walk and I know Kaedyn, once he starts getting that little budda body moving, he won't stop. Oh oh and maybe Nathan not talking is a blessing, he can't tell me NO!! Yep yep - gonna think of it as such now! Teehee... It's okay Momma, this two shall pass. I don't know how - but I know it will! {{HUGS}} But since I can only understand x 2 ... maybe I should barrow someone's child so I can know how crazy it is... with just one more!

cat said...

Oh Jen, I am struggling with two! I can think 3 is impossible! We dealt with the crib climbing by lowering the crib floor - worked like a charm.
Cheers! Let's have a glass of Merlot.

April said...

i'm sorry :-/ i'm having a similar struggle with my one year old. my 2 yo is pretty easy and well disciplined, but the 1 yo OMG, i don't know what to do with him. each on their own, it's totally livable, but together... gah :-/

i don't know how you do it with four!!!

Jenners said...

I feel for you ... I really do. I can't even imagine what it must be like. I have trouble handling just my one kid so I can only imagine what it must be like for you. You are a saint to be doing this. You really are. I'm sure there are days you just think about getting in the car and just driving off and never coming back. We've all had those days. I wish there was something I could do for you other than say "Hey, I feel for you" but lordy lordy, I don't know what it would be. You are a great mom! : )

Unknown said...

Oh I feel for you!! I have a 4.5yrs old (easy) and a 20 month old. Ughh.. The 2 year old is tough already, I can't even imagine 3 of them at the same time.

Shelley said...

Girl, you ROCK!!!!
You can do it. I know you can. You have a great sense of humor and God is good. I wish I lived near you, I'd come give you a hand. Before you know it, the first day of Kindergarten will come and you'll be crying about where the time went. (That would be after you had time to consume your celebratory bottle of wine).
Just keep chanting only three more years...only three more years...
because I said so, that's why. LOL.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

just drink more coffee and you'll be fine. blog more too! and come visit me...

Kathy B! said...

I am so sorry Jen. I know how frustrating this is!!! Our situations weren't identical, but they were gosh darn similar... My advice to you is this... when they are doing all of their crazy shenanigans try to step outside of your body and look at what's going on as if you're watching tv. First of all you'll see the funny in the situation RIGHT NOW instead of after the fact and if you can laugh or smile your way through it you'll feel better as everything goes to hell in a hand basket :) Second, keep your discipline and limit setting firm and let EVERYTHING ELSE SLIDE. Third, ask for help. I'd be over in a heartbeat if I could.

mommy nurse said...

My hubby always says the grass is always greener. We take the good and the bad and for some reason we only remember the good when we look back! Hang in there everyday they are a day older!

viridian said...

Keep venting and know we have been there too. I remember those days with newly adopted 5, 4, and 2 year olds. I give you permission to turn on TV and put in a Barney video. Wine boxes are economical. Do not think ahead to the bratty teen year tantrums.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

sanity, what's that? hang in there.

AiringMyLaundry said...

You have my sympathies. I have ONE two year and some days I feel like I'm going to lose my mind. If I had THREE two year olds I'd probably be running down the street screaming at the top of my lungs.

Sarah said...

I just have one and her meltdowns can be fierce. Can't imagine multiplying that by 3.

Emily said...

Ummm, I can barely handle 1 two-year-old! ;) And might I suggest a crib tent...another mom of many small children I know has used them and loves them!

Casey's trio said...

I'll trade you 3 three year olds for your 3 two year olds!!! :)

Jennifer said...

I can barely handle one--my hat's off to you!!

CaraBee said...

I am absolutely going crazy now with my ONE 19 month old. I feel like all day, every day is a struggle. To eat, to change diapers, to sleep, to play, to get into carseat, to climb stairs, to bathe, everything. Multiply by three? I would go insane.

Anonymous said...

Girl, there are days when I wonder how I make it just trying to handle one. And then I think about having another one and I am instantly exhausted.
I used to want twins. Everyday that my son throws a fit or hysterical tantrum, I thank my reproductive organs for only giving me one at a time because I know I would not have been able to handle it!
You're allowed to vent!

Shawn said...

I was gonna come over one of these days but now I think I'll wait a few years.

You know what is best about blogland? Someone's life is always crazier!

Bwahahahaha!

Okay, I'll still come over as long as you let me drink an extra glass of wine. ;o)

FranticMommy said...

All I can say is..that's why God created naptime and BEDTIME. (and maybe a bit of booze and a day trip to a spa here and there)Beyond that, I feel your pain sista!

MDtripmom said...

Wow, thanks for filling me in on what to look forward to in the next year, LOL. Honestly, you are doing a great job. This too shall pass!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

OK. Now I feel guilty complaining about my morning with my 2-year old. God bless you. If nothing else you just made me realize I don't have it that bad and I need to cease the whining.

Hang in there. I know, you know you are blessed but some days I am sure you just want to run screaming into the woods.

Amy said...

Oh man... I think God knew two was plenty for me. As it is I ended up crying last night because I just feel totally burned out! With Hubs injured and unable to help with much of anything... yikes.

I think my next vacation needs to be ALONE!!! lol

tiarastantrums said...

I DO NOT envy you in the least!!!!!!

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

If I had your mailing address, I'd send you a pitcher of homemade sangria. It's quite helpful on those challenging parenting days :)

Kelly said...

I think we're all struggling no matter how many kids we have. I have a 2.5 year old and an 11 month old. I realize I like the baby stage because there isn't a lot of discipline needed then. My youngest just learned to climb which means now i can't leave her alone for a minute. I have yet to experience 4 year olds but it has to be easier than this. And even if it's not I dont' want to know. I need something to look forward to.