Monday, May 18, 2009

When A Bear Attacks

We were once again headed out as a family to one place or another. Now when in the car, Jeff and I can usually have a conversation for at least in the first 3 minutes of driving, sometimes more if we are lucky. These are not heavy conversations but just a time that I can tell him a few things.

This time I used it to tell him about how Jake took a little tricycle to the top of our very long, very steep (I am talking like a 30 degree angle steep) driveway, sat it down and lifted his feet in preparation for the ride of his life.

I saw this happen out of the corner of my eye and was not prepared for this and all I could see was him running into one of the rocks or trees along the driveway or worse yet getting all the way down it into the road. I totally scared me.

Thankfully, the tricycle turned and he just ended up stopping in the grass. But it was one of those, 'man I think that I need new underwear' moments.

Hayden over heard me tell Jeff this story and couldn't understand why I was so upset by this. "Mom," he asked, "Why were you so scared?"

Jeff answered the question, "Mom was just scared that Jacob would go all the way down the driveway and hit a tree on the other side of the road. She just didn't want him to get hurt. Thats all."

Hayden replied, "Yeah, if he goes to the other side of the road he might get attacked by bears."

I started to tell Hayden that that was just not true but Jeff took the conversation and just milked it. "Really Hayden, bears would attack Jacob across the road? Would the aliens attack him too? What is Jacob suppose to do?"

I gave Jeff that look, you know,'the really you are going to go there with our child who already has an over active imagination!?!' To which Jeff replied with the 'oh yeah I totally went there' look.

Then Hayden interrupted our telepathic conversation with, "Well, he would just have to pray."

Jeff and I just looked at each other.

"What? What is praying going to do?" Jeff asks just to see where Hayden is going with this.

"Jacob just has to pray to God and then God with train the bear to sit down and be nice and then He will send the alien back to Mars. God is big and he can do that." Hayden confidently told us.

I just smiled. The faith of a child is such a beautiful thing.

32 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

Gorgeous and perfect. What a great kid.

Kat said...

You have VERY smart little boy there!

Rhea said...

I love it! What a great answer.

Heather of the EO said...

Seriously, Hayden and Miles are brain twins. This whole conversation is so eerily familiar! I love that they think like this and believe so simply in God's powers. It's the sweetest thing.

dougandloretta said...

What a perceptive little fella! It's great that you and Jeff have conversations with him about God. The beginnings of faith are very precious. (Sorry, I guess I sound like a grandma!)

Trudy said...

Aww, I love that...it sounds like he has grasped a concept that many adults still struggle with! Bless his little heart!

Kathy B! said...

Amen!

Faith is a beautiful thing as is the innocence of youth :)

Brandy said...

Man, your kid is SMART. I love that he has the over active imagination.

pan x 8 said...

That is classic and a story to tell forever and ever!

I gave you an award, you can pick up at my blog! ;p Thanks for being so great to read!

Wendy said...

Hayden is awesome.

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

of course Momma!

we have a driveway like that - and I HATE it! although our house is located on a bend - so the view is obscured - our kids would be splattered flat!

CaraBee said...

With four kids, I'm surprised you don't have "need new underwear" moments every day.

Lula! said...

I'm glad no one has ever questioned my presidency...and by presidency, I mean of Hayden's fan club, of course. Clearly he is a genius. A Spirit-filled genius. Just as I like 'em.

shortmama said...

Now that would be a great prayer

cat said...

Oh this is such a great story. I just love how very real God is for kids. You have to send this story to Nicole O Dell.

Susie said...

Your kids are so sweet:-)

Otter Thomas said...

Having a child like faith would be a wonderful thing for us all.

K said...

I love the faith - it's beautiful.

Helene said...

Oh, I totally love that!! To have the faith and innocence of a child again...what I wouldn't give to have that again!!

pam said...

How pure and innocent!

blessedmomto7 said...

Someones teaching the boy right! Love that :)

momma said...

i.love.it!

Memento - Terri said...

Thanks for the SIT'S welcome.
If we all could keep faith like that and not worry about everything. We need to just send the bears and aliens to God. He can handle them!

Caitlin said...

Adorable! One for the baby book, for sure!

Em said...

That is the sweetest thing. Ever.

I wish my faith could be that pure again.

Nature Lovin' Super Mama said...

Very Cute! :) I love the what children can think of, and I it is only that much more special when something you taught them comes out. :)

Jenn said...

God the bear tamer...I love it!

CynthiaK said...

He's got it all figured out, that Hayden boy.

WhisperingWriter said...

What a sweet kid.

BoufMom9 said...

Amen to that.
I have often said that the faith of children amazes me. i wish i had their undisrupted faith. It must be such a comfort to just REALLY believe!

wife.mom.nurse said...

What an amazing sweet response!
")

The Parrotts said...

That boy must have wonderful parents :)