Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Scary Things that go Bump in the Night

Ah, night time.

It is a good time. It signifies the end of the day, quiet and calm have once again returned to the household. It is time to go spend doing adult things. It is time to go to bed and get some much needed rest.


But it can also be a bad time of day. It is the time of day that you never want to get a phone call from some one you love. There is nothing good that can come of a phone call at 2AM. It is a time that can leave you most vulnerable. Darkness surrounds you, there is no telling who, if any one, if lurking out side.

This thought always freaks me out. You see, we live in the woods. Therefore, we have no curtains on our windows. There really is no need. So while this allows me to walk around naked if and when I want to, it also feeds my fear that there might be some one standing out there in the darkness looking in at me.

This is why when ever I must get up in the middle of the night, I run through the house in hopes of being just a blur to a person that might be looking in. I only feel safe again once I reach a room where the door can be close.

It is my way of keeping all the things that go bump in the night at bay. I must have each and every door to each and every room is closed. And I insist that each door be close before I go to sleep each night.


After many, many, many nights of strongly urging Jeff get back out of bed to close the door, he, for the most part, has now taken my suggestion to do so.

But you when you are not expecting said door to be closed like say after your snuck out of bed to check your email one last time before going to sleep. And you eyes have not yet adjusted to the darkness after staring at the screen for much longer than anticipated.

Then meeting the door closed is a very scary thing. Just ask my nose.

28 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

"It is time to go spend doing adult things."

Adult things?

Oh yeah. I remember that.

(And on another note: Sorry about your nose!!)

cat said...

Oh no! Auch!

Unknown said...

ouch, sorry about the nose but I'm glad Jeff remembered to close the door? LOL!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

we are sisters from another mother, i'm telling you! hilarious...how's the nose, and the ego?

Cecily R said...

See, THIS is why I love your blog. Because you tell a GOOD story...sorry I laughed. Sorry I'm kind of still laughing.

How's the nose this morning?

Brandy said...

Oh no! I bet you scared the beejuzus out of Jeff too when you went crashing into the door.

Momma@Live. Laugh. Pull your hair out said...

OH NO! I am laughing because I totally understand......

Alicia said...

Yikes! That's funny! That's totally something I would do! It's all about the night lights!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

your poor nose!

Otter Thomas said...

Sounds like you have him trained a little to good. I once walked into a wall in my own house, but I was drunk.

pan x 8 said...

I'm laughing but I'm sorry about your nose! ;p

Cristin said...

I'm laughing at you too... were you naked when you smashed your nose? that would make it funnier...

shortmama said...

Better your nose than your boobs if you were naked hehehe

Emily said...

Ouch. You know, guys seems to always get it right at the wrong time! lol

KatBouska said...

Ahahahahah ahahahahahah!! Ohhhh this is funny...because I did the EXACT same thing the other night. Lucky for me I walk like a blind man and my hands blocked what would have ended up as a welt on my forehead. :) Good times.

Claremont First Ward said...

Your poor nose. My poor side. I can't stop laughing.

Swift Jan said...

I have clonked my nose in the middle of the night also.... only the door was only half closed so I got it right on the corner... OUCH!!

I hope there is no lasting damage... teehee...

The Wrenns said...

Great post! I thought from your title it would be about the kids...then while reading the last few sentences really took me by surprise! LOL!

CaraBee said...

I'm the same way about doors. They MUST be closed. I've been lucky never to run into one, though.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I got the chills just reading that. You live in the woods? Me too. No shades? Me too. Afraid the Ax Murderer can see you? Me too. Hoping he gets you instead of me? Me too...oh. sorry.

Loved it!!

Heather of the EO said...

PFFFT.

Sorry.

Ouch.

Jenn said...

HAHAHA! I have a great mental image now! I'm a lights on kinda girl. I either needs the shades closed or at least the lights have to be on. Remnants of fear from my childhood.

Allegro ma non troppo said...

I'd say the fear of crazy woods people looking at you running naked through your own house at night is more than enough reason to get some curtains.

Gretchen said...

I didn't know you lived in the woods. That's so COOL!

Caitlin said...

HILARIOUS! I am so sorry that you ran into the door! It's funny though, you have to admit!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Ouch! Your poor nose.

I almost felt guilty giggling through this..

BBB said...

"and they call her the flash...."

Shannon said...

I'm the same way! We do have blinds and/or curtains on all our windows... and I can't stand to have them open! Shane tells me all the time its like we live in a cave...