Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Huh? Invincible SuperMom: The Real Story.

So, Thank you all for all the well wishes yesterday. I am feeling a lot better this morning and to be honest, my butts hurts more than my ankle. But the biggest reason I am feeling better is because its nice to know that I am not the only mom that has done this. I am going to blame it on pregnancy. It is still all the left over hormones awkwardness that are causing this clumsiness (OK, so maybe I am just clumsy but this my story and I am sticking to it.)

This is the whole story about what happened. It really is quite comical. So yesterday,we were invited to a pool party. Hayden and I were waiting for the babies to wake- up so that we could get going. The baby boys were the last to get up so I went up stairs to get them.

As I often do, I picked them both up and started down the stairs. I had my sandals on and they don't have the best grip on the carpet. I lost my footing two steps down and slipped, landing hard on my butt. The boys never left my grip but were very frightened by the whole experience.
I knew that I had sprained my ankle, right away because about 2 years ago I sprained it really badly while taking a dirty diaper to the trash and tripping down a step. As soon as I fell, I started to cry and yelled for Hayden to get me the phone.

I was more crying in fear that I had broken my foot than in pain. I was more scared of what it meant in terms of my abilities and that I would have to disappoint Hayden about not being to go to the pool party then any thing else.

I was able to scoot myself up to the top of the stairs and Hayden brought me the phone. I called Jeff. Hayden has never seen me cry so he was looking at my with this look of confusion and was about to cry himself. I put Jeff on speaker phone and he calmed Hayden and myself down.
While I was on the phone, Quinn, who was crying to climb back up to me, fell down the stairs and then Jake took a turn and rolled down the stairs. The crying of the babies now turned into hysterics.

That was it, I hung up with Jeff and forced myself to get up and assess the damage. I was able to walk with out to much pain. I scooped up the boys, one at a time this time, and went down stairs.
I soothed the crying, got my ankle brace, loaded everyone into the car and we were off to the pool. (I wanted, no needed, everyone to have the distraction.)

As we were driving in silence for a while, Hayden spoke. "Mom, you were kinda freaking me out back there." (really, he is only 3 people)
Me: (smiling) "Yeah, Hayden. I was kinda freaking out too. I am sorry."
Hayden: "That's alright. *sigh* Mom, I like you."

22 comments:

cat said...

Oh my, the are so cute at 3 +! All in a day's work for mommy.

Karen said...

Out of the mouths of babes! I'm glad your ankle is feeling a bit better; Sorry about you back side. You are difantely a "Gold Medalist" when it comes to being SuperMom. I don't know if I would have made the pool party after all that.

scargosun said...

Oh you poor thing! I am so glad the kids AND you are ok considering.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh man, that is so scary to me. It could have been so much worse, glad you're OK!!!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

P.S. So glad you liked the gratin, adding mootsarelllll sounds great!!!

Ronnica said...

That's a lot for a 3yo. Glad your all okay!

Bar-b said...

Jen! I was at the point of tears just reading what you went through! My gosh. That could have been so much worse though. Thankfully you are ok and the babies are too.

You keep getting hurt with all of these baby related activities....get insurance sister.

Maternal Mirth said...

Hayden is so mature ... good to know you were feeling better. Even better that you had a brace handy like that!

Jacki McHale said...

A good story, I cried when you spoke of crying and Hayden being SO big and getting the phone. I laughed when Hayden says "I like you"

It's amazing what we will do to protect and take care of our own. As Ed would tell me "slow down!" but that is usually when I am the slowest I get hurt!

Feel better!

Aunt Julie said...

Glad you're feeling better. I tell ya, I've given my kids a couple of scares. One day I was up on a ladder in the driveway, picking tennis balls out of the gutter. The kids were playing out front, and suddenly I fell off the ladder and onto the pavement--about 6 feet! I lay there for a minute, not saying a word, and the kids got pretty concerned. I think I had the wind knocked out of me more than anything--no broken bones, but I was pretty sore the next day!

Rhea said...

That is so awesome Hayden was able to tell you he was freakin out. Seriously. Good communication and sharing feelings at such a young age is awesome. I'm impressed.

I'm so sorry about your fall though. I did this once, holding baby Remy, fell on wet outside stairs and broke my tailbone. Agony for a month or two. pure agony.

~B. said...

How. Scary. Thank goodness that you and the kids are OK.

Hayden is awesome. :)

Kelly said...

You are super Mom!! You still took them to the pool party hurting and all!
Hayden strikes again with those awesome comments!!
Hope your parts feel better soon!

Tiffany said...

Hayden rocks. Seriously, he is such a cool kid.

I would have called my husband too.. and put him on speaker and he would have calmed us down to.

I am so glad you are okay.

♥ Becky ♥ said...

Oh you poor thing. I'm just getting back up to speed on reading all my favorite blogs since vacation. I read yesterdays and then todays. Don't worry, I fall all the time. I think I will blame it on my pregnancies too. Does it matter that it has been almost 11 years since I have been pregnant??
I'm glad your ok and the babies are too.

The Evans Crew said...

Hope you are feeling better, I give you a so much credit for literally dusting yourself off and going about your day. Not sure I could have done that...you are indeed SUPERMOM!!!!!

mrsmouthy said...

That's one of my biggest fears--I'm a clutz by nature and it's only a matter of time before I slip down my stairs! I'd be so much better in a padded room...

Cristin said...

That's so sweet that he still likes you even though you freaked him out...

I'm a turbo clutz too... I fell UP the stairs the other day holding Dottie...

trash said...

What? You didn't get the invincibility chip? Doh!! It should have come with your first pregnancy, you should talk to someone about that.

Thanks for coming to visit me at Trash Towers today and let me just say - Target should never be underestimated, I miss them ;-)

FarmGirl said...

Ahhh, aren't kids sweet! Hayden is so insightful! Glad yoo are ok, and kudos to your for heading to the pool! You are very brave!

Jill said...

Holy cow - you still went to the pool? You're one brave mom...

How are you feeling now?

-Bridget said...

Oh, how frightening! Especially with the babies involved! I'm so glad everyone is ok!