So I am hoping that you have watched the video. If not, go. I'll wait...
I saw this commercial and I couldn't believe my eyes. I was actually kind of shocked that there was a toy out there like this. Now don't get me wrong , I love going to the spa. The way that you are pampered and being treated like a queen, is so what this mommy needs from time to time. And getting a pedicure is one of my favorite things on earth. I will also probably take my daughter to the spa in the future. But play with this toy... I don't know?
There is just something about this commercial and toy that makes me a little uncomfortable and a little like huh? I don't know maybe its the 11ish girl with the wind blowing through her hair putting on lip gloss. What about you, what do you think?





31 comments:
For me it was the girl enjoying her foot spa with ... orgasmic zeal.
Maybe it just bothers me because at their age I was outside climbing trees.
I am ok with the idea of a spa, lipgloss etc - I loved Tinkerbell as a girl although I spent most of my time outside. It's the "sexed up" feeling I don't like - the same girl with lipgloss thing you talk about.
Um, I didn't get to go to a spa until I was almost thirty years old. Sure I played makeup and hairsalon as a kid, but you're right, this feels a little different. Kinda like the Luvs Baby Soft ads Lula posted about awhile back...
wow....unbelievable! over the top. and seriously....do we want our kids to grow up that quick??? what treasures will they enjoy as adults? weird.
Yes, I agree. I was a little creeped out by the girl with the wind in her hair. Looks too R-rated and not enough PG for me.
Yes, society is all about the bling for younger and younger kids. I'm surprised they didn't have a little dog in a purse next to those girls. Maybe it will be an add-on later.
I don't know about that?!! What happened to Lite Brite's and Barbie doll houses?!!
I agree that it is a little over the top. I too was a tree climber. I realize all of society has changed and there is nothing wrong with a day at the spa, but really.........An 11 year old doesn't need to pretend to relax and unwind anyway!
Great topic, I am sure many will weigh in with differend ideas. I'll check back to see what gets said.
Have a great day!
umm - I didn't like this at all - way too young! WAY TOO YOUNG!!!
Uh. No. Can you spell W.R.O.N.G.
I want my daughter to grow up before becoming a teenager.
Yep, totally wrong. First of all, can you say BIG MESS?! I see all that gunk getting in my carpet. I don't think the girl with the wind blowing was right either. Just felt wrong. I found like a fuddy duddy, but I didn't like it!
I don't think it is horrible, my two year old gets her nails painted and we make a mini spa out of it.
I am disturbed by the hair blowing, a little much. Maybe make it more sleepover fun, or mommy and me type?
So now they go out climb trees, eat dirt all day. Then come inside, make up there mini spa, and wala! It could be worse...
The hair blowing while applying lip gloss is a little unsettleing. The whole spa idea minus that is great though!
The thing that bothers me the most is that my 4 year old daughter asked me to get her this for Christmas! Dang you marketing shmucks!!!
You are absolutely correct! The little ones, including Hayden, grow up WAY to quickly. The media will "infect" them enough, without parents buying into the whole thing as well. I'm so thankful to have a sensible mom like you raising my granddaughter! Keep up the good work. Love you.
Totally over the top, and I can only imagine the mess that would make.
Of course, you could kind of look at it like a girly chemistry set, but come on. Give me the beakers and test tubes.
I think it is better than paying $440,000 for the real thing:-)
The product itself is not too bad. When I was little there was something like this where you could make your own make up. I think it is the way it was presented that made it kinda icky.
While I do not like the commercial with all the little girls, wind, gloss, and one of the girls in the chair sitting has the robe kinda hiked up more than I think acceptable, is it not 1/2 way up her thigh or am I exaggerating?!? - I do know that if they had had this when I was growing up, I totally would have wanted it and I would have totally wanted to play "spa" with my mommy! (And my mom never went to the spa or was spa-ish if you will - which is one of the things I love about her!) I had a spa (acutally it was just a bathtub that made bubbles, but it looked all fancy and stuff) for my barbie and it was great fun to play with.
But I loved dress-up, and playing with makeup, and all that "girly" stuff - I know....you are thinking WHAT HAPPENED - I never NEVER wear make-up any more - not even for a "date" with Craig....I've so fallen off whatever wagon that is! - it's just not me.
Oh hell, I would probably buy it for her... lets be honest, I would be thrilled if she wanted to play something other than Pirate.... But yes I agree the commercial is creepy... Like some dirty old man thought it up...
As long as it's not a son who wants that, I think it's fairly normal. And even if it IS a boy that wants it, just shrug and expect to attend a few Cher concerts.
The commercial, however, is kinda pedophile-ish.
I'm thinking Cameron is going to have this one on her list for Christmas...she loves playing spa...and I love playing along with her...I can't afford to take her (or myself) to the real thing!!
I don't think the commercial is necessarily creepy just cheesy!
Okay, the wind in the hair is creeping me out.
I am all for setting an example of taking care of yourself, or treating yourself once in a while, and we played beauty shop when I was little... but a spa?
The marketing is just too mature.
GO PLAY OUTSIDE.
Ok I had to go check this out...
Amazon.com shows the recommended age for this "toy" as 8 and older...
Yeah! Every 8 year old girl needs to de-stress her life by having her own spa at home!
WHA...?!??!!?
That commercial is a bit creepy. I've never even been to the spa!! What makes them think that these little girls WANT something like that?
The fashion and beauty industry are trying to entice our daughters at younger and younger ages. Too much emphasis on appearance and status and not enough on character and accomplishment. I just posted about this on my site this morning - http://thegreatestmissiontrip.blogspot.com/2008/10/resource-friday-where-do-we-attain-our.html We must be on the same wavelength.
Too young. I agree with everyone who has the same sentiment. Play time is for imagination and the great outdoors. Stress isn't even in their volcabulary.
What made the commercial wierd for me, aside from the 'toy' was the music.
Spa FANTASY? *shaking my head*
Thank you for coming by my place on our BATW tour yesterday!
It's stuff like this that made me want to have only boys... I don't know what I'd do if Dottie wanted something like this...
I didn't go to the spa until I was in my mid-twenties. And that toy has "HUGE MESS" written all over it. The perfumes and bubbles would be everywhere. No chance that toy would walk through our front door!
That is hysterical. You know, there's nothing rougher than being an 11 year old. You just need to get away and relax with a nice spa treatment.
I think my girls would love the idea of this. But I don't even let them put on their own finger nail polish unless they take it outside. The mess of this would be unbelievable. I'd just assume take them with me when I get a pedicure and everyone's happy.
Post a Comment